Sunday, November 30, 2008

Turkeys, Trees, and In Between

Thanks to Mom E., our roll assignment was not a disaster. Thanksgiving morning, we indulged in some physical activity and set about the major task of eating. I broke all my rules and cooked while Brady played football. In all fairness, though, he watched Zachary while I was gone for a good hour on a run. Zac was sound asleep while I rolled the dough, so it was a fair deal.

We ate at the Giles home, with several friends and their kiddos. They had the place pretty decked out.

Zachary, like his parents, loves all things carbohydrate.


Here's our spread. I still think of myself as too young to be cooking Thanksgiving without parents, but it turned out well. I wonder at what point I will consider myself old enough to cook a turkey. We'll see.
The kids were smart and got active right away. The rest of us vegged out, looked at ads, and fought sleepiness. I think we should have gone to the beach, but it was a good time chatting.

My pie is the one with a marijuana leaf inscribed on the top. Hard to see in this pic (look on the table behind the pie stand...pumpkin). With Brady's help, I graduated to homemade crust this year, and could not be prouder. No, the cool whip was not whipped cream, but I'm taking baby steps on my progression towards "cook."

We did hit a beautiful sunset at Poipu Beach before heading home.

Friday we went with the "Work before Play" motto my Dad drilled into me at young age. We got down and dirty, shampooing the carpets, moving all the furniture around, and otherwise obsessing about the cleanliness of our condo. Our place needed it:

Our carpets look fantastic! I can't figure out why people buy these things (shampooers, not brooms). It was only $16 to rent for 4 hours, and it was the best thing out there.

After a long day of working, we took off for the beach. The day was gorgeous, and we decided since we were surfing all day Saturday, we should boogie board. It was fun, but I was antsy to surf. Patience, patience...
Saturday morning, we woke up to pouring rain and gusting wind. Nice. I decided the "work before play" motto does not fly with me anymore. My new motto is "Sun=Beach, regardless of responsibilities." I am one step closer to local.
With jeans and sweatshirts on, we put the house into Christmas mode. We checked out our $19.99 tree from Target 7 years ago, and decided it was the LAST year we would use it. It looked so pitiful! Out of curiosity/boredom, we went to a few stores (i.e. the number of stores on the island), and wound up coming home with a brand new tree and decorations. Rain and wind are very dangerous in Kauai! Thanks to Macy's forgetting to take down their Black Friday deal, we came home with the tree at 75% off. We didn't even get up early and fight crowds. That's my kind of shopping.
We were so excited to see Zac's reaction to all the Christmas decor. As soon as he woke up, we brought him downstairs to see the tree. As soon as we turned the corner and he saw the lights, he just grinned and grinned. We walked him around the tree and showed him each ornament. It was such a precious moment for us.

Our first Christmas together, we decided to buy one ornament each that reminded us of the year, or had some kind of significance. We have a laborador for the year we got Terris, a shovel for the year Brady shoveled The Colony 100 times, an ice skate the year I took my ice skating class to keep my scholarship, a surfing Santa for last year, etc.
Last year, I bought another ornament, but didn't dare to put it up. We both were so anxious about the upcoming adoption, and hoping and praying things would work out this time. I saw this at Macy's and put it in our Christmas box. I completely forgot about it, but when I opened it up yesterday, I couldn't help but get caught up in a flood of memories. We are so grateful for our boy!!!

13 comments:

Eric and Jill said...

This post is just lovely. I'm so happy for you guys and your sweet family. Love YOU!

Melanie said...

So Precious of Zac's reaction to the tree...its gets even better the older they get-you have a lot to look forward to. :D Good job on the holiday cooking! Its so funny to see kids playing in the water...just a different world...though it has been unusually warm here in Utah. Happy Thanksgiving!

Suburban Monkey said...

The Thanksgiving spread looked great...Ben and I are still trying to recover from eating our weight in food.
You guys are experiencing so many wonderful firsts this year with Zachary, how special!

Dean and Lana Edwards said...

Everything looked perfect for Thanksgiving - food, weather... except we weren't with you. Karen, you did an amazing job with the food. How fun to be decorating this year with Zachary there. What a precious little boy!

Scott and Natalie said...

I love the ornament tradition! And the Zachary ornament is the best! How wonderful to be sharing Christmas with your boy! Families are the greatest! We can't wait to see you guys in January!

Scott and Natalie said...

Your rolls looked AWESOME!

Elder Bryson Ritchie said...

Zac's reaction is so sweet. What a fun Thanksgiving Day. Your rolls look so yummy!

Julie said...

Haha! Funny that you don't think you're old enough to cook a turkey by yourself. I feel the same way!! The thought of hosting my own Thanksgiving dinner seems so completely weird! I have a sneaky suspicion that I will always feel to young to do that...

~~Heidi~~ said...

very cute, fun, and crazy weekend. We were totally bummed that it rained all day Saturday also.

Kristen said...

That roll shot should be on our food blog. It is awesome.

Kristen said...

I think your Thanksgiving to be perfect, also would need us, not just Mom and Dad.

Unknown said...

Zac is getting HUGE! And I love your family shots!

Natalie and Steve said...

Wow Karen! Your rolls look delicious! We are working on rolls ourselves and trying to get the right fluffiness.
I'm really grateful for Zac too! What a blessing!
We bought a 4-foot tree this year because there wasn't room for anything else!