Monday, January 16, 2006

Snowshoes, Ice Down the Pants, the Whole Bit

As you all know, I get ants in my pants when we don't have anything "special" planned over holidays. So, Brady was considerate enough to get work off, and we went snowshoeing. It was my first time. Here I am standing. I put this picture in so that you know that I was standing for at least part of the day.

Here I am with my sister Natalie, who brought her friend Tyler with her. They were a ton of fun. Natalie turned out to be significantly better at this than I was.


Case in point... This is one of about 20 times I landed on my bum after a quick decent down a hill.


The boys found a really sweet hill to jump off. It only took me three times (haha.."only") to get the jumping down, and avoid just sliding down (with the snow jamming up my back!).


Here's Natalie: she got it on her first go.


Brady was actually the first to jump off. The pic doesn't do him justice. He was pretty fun to watch.


This is Tyler, who gets the award for "best action shot."

Tyler and Brady found a frozen waterfall, and decided that we could handle the haul up the mountain. The snow was fresh, so the snowshoes didn't handle it all that well. As a result, we were thigh-deep in snow half the time. The boys made it fine, but Natalie and I spent a lot of time in the snow, rather than on top of the snow. It took some real determination, but we made it. Truth be told, I finally only finished climbing because Natalie did. That competitiveness really kicked in, despite having taken MANY falls down the mountain. (And I know that picture doesn't look like a mountain, but it's just a bad angle...)
The top! I was huffing and puffing.

Here's a picture from the parking lot. I'd like you to believe that we hiked to the top of that mountain.

9 comments:

NW Varneys said...

Is this up near Aspen Grove/Sundance area?

NW Varneys said...

Thanks for wishing me a happy birthday by the way. Geesh!

Eric and Jill said...

How fun! Eric and I are extremely jealous of the beautiful snow you guys have to play with. It's raining a ton today! YUCK..and all we've been wanting to do is sled (or ski, for Eric) for once this winter! I need to take skiing lessons! Snow shoeing looks tough!

Brady said...

We started at the Mt. Timp trail-head on the Sundance side.

Scott and Natalie said...

Great pictures guys! I miss those mountains!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that looks so cool!

Brady said...

Aaron, We've BOTH wished you a happy birthday...just a day late. Ask ANYONE who reads this blog how good we are with birthdays. Jill, I have yours written on my calendar a week early, so that I'm sure to get it right for once!

Scott and Natalie said...

Why don't you send some of that snow to Boise? Actually, you guys better play in it hard seeing as how you won't have it in Caly.

Elder Bryson Ritchie said...

Okay, its probably good we didn't end up going with you guys, we could have never kept up with you guys. (I'm of course just refering to Paul, I sure the boys and I would of kept up perfectly fine-just kidding!)