Friday, March 04, 2011

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing...

We are ready. It's official. I went from "This is so fun, I could be pregnant forever" to "Get out of me, you sweet baby girl" in a matter of one week. The change coincided with us finishing the nursery, me quitting my job and suddenly having too much time on my hands, and the baby "dropping," making life just a little less comfortable. No worries, she will come soon enough!

Emily and Beau, our cousins on Brady's side, came to Kauai and brought with them the best part of our nursery! Emily painted the canvases to match our bedding, and we could not love them more.
When Zachary was about to arrive, people would ask if we were ready. We didn't do much to prepare, especially after our failed adoption, and picked up odds and ends after he was born. This time around has been so much fun, except somehow I'm still feeling anxious. What if this child is not a girl? We even had an ultrasound to check on weight (she's aprox. a healthy 7 lbs!) but they couldn't verify gender with her positioning.

Zac has been a dream child at doctor appointments, primarily due to this Memory game. He's also had to do a lot of sitting lately....
...due to the fact that every adventure we plan lately gets RAINED OUT. I realize that most readers have terrible weather right now, but that will not stop me from whining about the fact that most of our weekends--including 2 camping weekends--have been wrecked by rain. This may seem like a little matter, but there's a big part of me that feels a need for a final "hoorah" before baby comes! So much, in fact, that a couple weekends ago, we still went hiking in the poring rain. We lasted a whopping 20 minutes with our boy who was not thrilled about the mud puddles.
On those days when it is not raining, we've spotted dozens of whales (with some of the closest breaches I've ever seen!) on this walk behind our house,
and when this water overflow area is not chuck full of water, we spend quality time watching Zac roll down the hill.

Beau and Emily came to visit a little over a week ago, and we couldn't get enough! We only wish they stayed with us the entire visit instead of just a few days. They were the perfect visitors, who found something to be excited about every day even when it was lousy weather and also made our kiddo feel like gold. We played lots of games, stayed up late, and joined them on excursions to Poipu Beach and Hanalei.
This pic was stolen from Emily, who just got her camera and already knows 10 times more about photography than I do.
Last weekend, Brady ran the Captain Cook Fun Run: his first 10K. He pulled in 7:04s and was happy with his time and race.
The thing I didn't like about this race is how they had 5K people mixed in, so it was hard to tell who was ahead, etc. The dude in front of Brady is a 5Ker...
Thursday night, we got 2.3 inches of rain, and our camping plans for Friday were once again dashed. You can't drive on a dirt road after a day like that! I've given up on hopes to camp again before baby comes, because I don't want to deliver her on the west side of the island (in the hospital that seems like a one-man show). I guess we will just wait a couple months! Instead, we got together under a pavilion and grilled up our dinners and s'mores.

I love these toddler s'mores pictures. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only people who ate s'mores were me and the kiddos.









Our outdoor adventures might be lacking a bit, but we are certainly excited about the baby adventures coming up! Zachary keeps caressing my belly, saying, "Mom, baby Kate! He moved!" We keep correcting him, and he then says, "Sh.... He moved!" I am really going to miss his little belly kisses and our time as a mommy/son duo during the day, so yeah, two more weeks is not a big deal.

15 comments:

Heather said...

Ahhh, I was the same way. I was so freaked out that when Lyla was born she would turn out to be a boy. Not that that wouldn't be a wonderful suprise, I love boys and I've got one so I know what to do. But EVERYTHING is pink, yellow and green. But we've got our sweet Lyla and I couldn't be happier.
I am in LOVE with the name Kate. Very cute. Can't wait for your next post! Maybe it'll be about when your sweet little one decides she's ready to get out. Good Luck!

Natalie and Steve said...

What a cute nursery! I love it! I'm also glad that you got to get ready this time. She's definitely yours!

Is it sad that I'm already ready to have our baby too? And I still have 5.5 weeks! Agh!

Sorry about your rained-out weekends. When I talked to you, you were so excited to go! :(

Love you all!

NW Varneys said...

OK, I love, love, LOVE the name Kate. I know we already told you this, but just a reminder: Savannah most likely would have been Kate had Aaron's brother not married a Katie first... I was sad we could not use the name, so I am thrilled that you are!

And the nursery is gorgeous-- I also LOVE the canvases. If your cousin doesn't have an etsy shop already, she should seriously consider it!

Good luck with the final countdown, Karen-- we will be checking your blog frequently now. :)

Julie said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet! What a cute little nursery you have! I'm so excited for you guys and baby girl Kate ( :

Emily said...

We miss you guys sooo much already! It is so fun to look at your pictures now and be able to say "I know where that is!"
You guys are the best, thanks again for an amazing time, we are already planning our next trip back.

Emily said...

By the way, I am going to steal some of the pics of the canvases for my art blog, I forgot to take pictures of it before we left.

Emily Gibbons said...

Oh, your nursery is darling! I can't believe you're due so soon (I hated it when people told me that, and now I'm doing it--sorry, but I don't hear from or see you nearly often enough for me to fully realize just how LONG you've been pregnant!) I keep wanting to call--at 9 or 10 am. Your welcome for not waking you up! :) Call me when you have a chance and I'll drop everything to chat! Love you! Good luck, if I don't talk to you before Kate's arrival!

Brady and Karen said...

Em, you make it sound like we never talk! We chatted it up like a week ago!

Emily Gibbons said...

I feel like we don't--but you're right, it probably hasn't been that long. I guess I just miss you! ;)

Emily Gibbons said...

Ooh--I just noticed I said "your welcome." How awful! I never do that. Sorry! :(

Kristen said...

Love that you get to see whales. Also awesome that you have a nursery. We have never really had a real one of those...

Roni, Coleman, Makadie and Anika said...

Love the nursery and those canvases! Amazing! We are so happy and excited for you.

I totally understand about wanting to get in that last tiny-baby trip! Good luck with this last week plus 2 days! We can't wait to see pics and meet Kate one day soon!

Tell Brady he has to do March Madness this year--March 15th is when it has to be filled in by! MMIss you guys and love you lots!

Kristen Nufer said...

Cute nursery! Can't wait to see the cute baby girl to go with it!

Eric and Jill said...

Beautiful nursery! I was the same way with Leo, such mixed emotions! I mostly wanted him to stay warm and cozy though because I never felt too uncomfortable! I liked sleeping a lot too! I def. took that advice and milked the last bit of sleeping I could fit in! Just ask Eric! ;) Thinking about you lots and will be sending little Kate some goodies tomorrow. xoxo

Kevin Nufer said...

Fun times. We're excited to death for you. Love the letters! Kristen did something similar in Allison's nursery.