Sunday, March 13, 2011

3rd Time's a Charm

We really were pretty bummed about the last two camp-outs getting rained out, so when I heard, "You're not even close" come out of my doc's mouth on Thursday, we decided to give camping another shot. Thursday night, we dealt with the whole tsunami threat, evacuating to Will and Karen's and out of the flood zone, but for some reason another fairly sleepless night sounded appealing. We timed our arrival perfectly--updating ourselves on the way to Polihale from Brady's phone as BYU finally pulled a W over New Mexico and Jimmer raked in 52 big ones. Jimmer!!!!!!

Our camping group split up this time around, with some going to Koke'e (the mountains). We prefer beach camping, and one reason is Zac never seems to run out of things to do in the sand (and it is warm...). He and Olivia were the only kiddos on this trip.

Chad and Rob brought their fishing poles. Brady thinks he needs one for his birthday this year. I can't wait until the surf calms down and the boys can go lobster diving.
It could be pregnancy talking, but I usually hate burgers and this turkey burger was outstanding. Yummy, yummy food on this trip.

Mary built this fire all by herself. We hung out by the fire and swapped stories for hours after the kids fell asleep.

Zachary is our pancake boy. He can't get enough. At least he doesn't dip them in the sand anymore.
Chad showing the kids how fishing works.

I love how we all celebrate Costco with the same purchases.
The current was really strong, but we were still able to swim. Brady decided to surf, too.
Just kidding, that wave is enormous with crazy undertow (pic taken from far away). We did see some fantastic whale presentations--breaching and a lot of tail wagging. Whale season is almost over, so it was fun to get in a few last views.

The kids collected (and fought over) sea shells in their buckets.
Chad showed Zac how to catch "fishies." He was excited to hold the pole "all by hisself."
Polihale is one of my favorite places on this island. I love the views, the stars, the hot sun during the day and the crystal clear water. I love that you can feel all alone on this huge beach, and that it is one of the only beaches you can get away with having a campfire. It was definitely worth the aches to have one last go around at the camping gig. (I will fess up that at 3:30am, I woke up so disappointed that it wasn't time to get up yet. I was dying sleeping on that mat, and it didn't help that we forgot pillows...I even tried to go sleep in the car later, but saw a fist-sized cockroach and couldn't fathom trying to sleep trapped in with that sucker. So, yeah, I'm not as tough as I thought going camping a week before the due date.) Seriously, though, how do you pass this up?

8 comments:

Natalie and Steve said...

You're nuts! :) Glad you got your camping in, though mom and I were talking about how we ached for you sleeping on the ground during the tsunami watch.

We're looking forward to that baby of yours!

Em said...

Who just goes camping when they are nine months pregnant? =) Gorgeous photos as always!

Eric and Jill said...

That's so hilarious you forgot your pillows!!!!! And the roach was in your car? But seriously, that beach would be hard to pass up, and I'll bet you'd love one of the burgers (albeit all beef) I made the other night with garlic, ground ginger, soy sauce and topped with scallions. YUM! I'm drooling already just remembering. You look great, woman! Can't wait to meet Kate too. xoxo

Brady and Karen said...

Oh, I was lucky and had a mattress during the tsunami, so it was only one night with a mat...

It was pretty hilarious when we realized we forgot the pillows.

Yeah, the roach was in the car. I tried to flip it out, but it crawled under the seats. Those things are so fast.

Your burgers do sound good. I'd have heartburn for a week with that garlic right now! ;)

Heather said...

Yuck! Cockroaches are disgusting. But I am impressed that you tried to flip it out of the car. I would have jumped out of that car and never gotten back in. Well until I saw someone throw it into the ocean. Yuck.

Kevin Nufer said...

That sounds like something we have to try sometime--beach camping! I bet the sand is pretty oomfy! (Unless you're 9 months pregnant, crazy girl!)

Julie said...

This whole beach camping thing just looks like way too much fun... I want to go!!

NW Varneys said...

I am so not surprised that you did this, and despite previous comments that were misinterpreted in 2009, I LOVE this beach!
~Aaron