Thursday, March 24, 2011

Baby Kate

Kate Marian Edwards
3/22/11 at 6:17pm
7 lbs 10 oz, 20.5 inches




This may be a fake smile from Zachary, but he was genuinely excited to see Baby Kate. He couldn't wait to undo her blankets and check out her toes, fingers, and belly button. He keeps telling us that he is her big brother.










We will spare you delivery details, but have a few antidotes to share.

1. The hospital uses a GPS system with the babies. I was anxious to get out of my cracker box room and go on a walk, so Brady and I took Kate out last night to walk the limited corridors of the hospital. No one told us the boundaries, and we assumed that as long as we didn't walk out of the door of our wing, we were golden. Wrong. We walked past the delivery room and the hospital went on lock down. Nurses came running out of the delivery room, doors closed automatically, and alarms blared until they realized it was us.

2. After Kate was born, they stamped her feet. The nurse noticed the stamp showed 6 toes. She looked alarmed, and glanced from the sheet to Kate's feet, counting her toes. She did this several times before looking relieved that Kate only has 5 toes on each foot.

3. Today, Zachary came in the house and saw that we were back from the hospital. He looked from me to baby Kate and back again, kind of confused. Finally he said, "Baby Kate is right there, but in your tummy too?" Yeah, son, it will take a while to work off this jelly belly!

4. Last night, Kate was awake from 1am to 6am, and she worked out her lungs. I heard the man in the room next to me call and ask the nurses to "do something about that baby." I guess airplanes are not the only places you run into people not happy to be next to you with a child!

5. One of us put a diaper on Kate last night. She has little chicken legs right now, and when I went to pull the blanket off, I saw that the diaper was basically around her knees, with the tar-like poop all over her blanket. We are re-learning all this baby stuff!

We're happy to be home, and ready to start life as a family of four. We feel like Kate is our second little miracle!

22 comments:

Natalie and Steve said...

She's so precious! I love the chicken legs story. I feel like that's how Josh was too!

Danielle Thompson said...

so happy for you!

Dean and Lana Edwards said...

What a beautiful little doll! We can't wait to be able to hold her. Those pictures with Zach are so adorable.

Wendi said...

Congratulations, we are so excited for you!

Scott and Natalie said...

I love your pictures. They are capturing these precious moments so beautifully! Congratulations on your beautiful little princess!

Kristen Nufer said...

She is beautiful! I can't wait to meet her! I wouldn't mind hearing all the details sometime. :)

Melanie said...

You know, its just so sweet and amazing to me the tender mercies that the Lord extends to us. It brings tears to my eyes witnessing the blessing God has given you. Thank you for sharing them with the rest of us. Congratulations! We are so happy for you!

Kevin Nufer said...

Kate is great! We can't wait to see her. That Zac story is really funny!

Heather said...

Congratulations to all of you!
is that thing she's laying in one of those boppy things? not the half donut shaped one but the round one? Do you like it? I've been thinking about getting one for Lyla.
And you were in a hosptial (like the maternity ward) and someone yelled about a baby crying? Geesh, get OVER it mean man!!

cory said...

Such great pictures! Especially love the one of Kate on Brady's chest with her eyes wide open.

Nothing more comfortable and less stressful than a calm baby laying on your chest.

Emily Gibbons said...

I love your stories! Don't worry--you're already in better shape than most of us. It won't take long! Did you get to keep the six toe stamp?

Eric and Jill said...

The first time my niece Kyra met Leo, she looked at my belly and said "I thought you already had the baby." I should've said "I don't think you ready for this jelly!" ;) I love her whole name so much!!! Beatiful! And Leo definitely had some chicken legs too! Same weight, but an in. and half longer. So he was VERY SKINNY! I'll be calling your for all the details!

Eric and Jill said...

and by her, I meant KATE MARIAN of course! Gorgeous! And lovely pics too. Can't wait for more! So glad Zac is being a sweet BIG BROTHER too!

Barbie Mills said...

Oh, she is just BEAUTIFUL! My mom has said on more than one occasion that "Karen was a pretty baby" and it looks like she takes after her mom! I don't have the words to express how happy I am for all of you. Congrats!

Roni, Coleman, Makadie and Anika said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the pictures! Don't stop posting them! WE love you guys are are so happy for your second little miracle! Enjoy it all!!

Julie said...

She is SO precious... there just aren't words to describe!

ScottTheNufe said...

The "She's so precious!" line has already been taken several times, but that's what came to mind when I came to comment. Thats what I get for comin to the party late!
Love ya, Karen! Congrats! I am so happy for you

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

Much congrats! Can't wait to see and hear more about life for the 4 of you! So trilled that you have your 2nd little miracle!

Jamie said...

Oh my! Beautiful little girl! I am just soooo happy for you Karen!!!! Congratulations!

Em said...

She is stunningly beautiful! And smiling at two days?! Congratulations! We are so so very happy for you.

And Brian says if we ever have another girl he wants to name her Kate. :) HA HA HA

Julie said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!!!

The Marecles said...

Congrats you guys! We are so excited for you. Kate is adorable and Zach is probably loving a little sister around. Hope that all is going well and that your getting some form of sleep :).