Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sand and 'Smores

We arrived at the beach after dark. Our first priority was setting up the tent...setting it up far enough away from the water. In the middle of night, the crashing waves seemed to be getting closer and closer, but I figured I was worrying too much. When I got up in the morning, I found the water came fifteen feet from our tent in the middle of night. That was close!
Below, the gang(Nic & Heidi & Ty, Matt & Megan, and Karen) contemplate if the rip-current is too strong. Matt went for a little morning swim and we're glad he made it back...the ocean is pretty strong here. We ended playing football at the waist deep level.

Matt and Megan patiently waiting for Brady to cook their pancakes.
Nic didn't sleep too well because of the waves and slight breeze. He was trying to wake himself up all morning.
Doesn't this look refreshing?So does this.
After the beach we headed up Waimea Canyon and found another hiking trail...try this one, "The Po'omau Trail". Among the vegetation we found these cool upside-down flowers. I thought about bringing some home and putting them in a vase for Karen, but I couldn't figure out how that would work. Ha ha.
The ridge in the center of picture was our destination--the Po'omau Scenic Overlook.
This waterfall below is the last picture I took before my camera battery died. The overlook gives view to three waterfalls from one spot. The other two falls are even better. Karen and I are planning to hike the trail again and go further in. I'll be sure to charge my batteries.

6 comments:

Karri said...

Looks like so much fun! Okay we are coming out there as soon as the rates for the airlines goes down....!!!! Maybe Feb 2008!

Em said...

Those are some gorgeous pictures! They made me camping hungry. And beach hungry. S'more hungry...and for some strange reason I can't stop craving a diet Coke. =)

Mimi said...

Hey Karen and Brady...

I was clicking through Suzies blog, and found you!! How are you guys??? It's Mimi, Suzie's little sister. We were in the same BYU ward. I am so jealous that you live there! What an adventure! How long have you been over there? We are in Washington- we will be in Midway for Thanksgiving though.

take care

Ken said...

That's it, I can't take any more of the Hawaii pictures. We're coming to visit next year. It looks amazing.

I heard that you can snowboard and surf all in one day... ?

Natalie and Steve said...

Well I'm jealous...but I'm SO excited to see you two in a couple of days!

NW Varneys said...

That's it. We're officially jealous. You can have friends there, and you can even camp with them. But we don't want to hear about it or see pictures.