Sunday, November 18, 2007

Just Your Lazy Saturday

It's been a long time since we traveled north, so after doing some Christmas shopping, we went to Hanalei for a hike. We had perfect weather for our 2 mile ascent, and passed very few people throughout. Those are two main ingredients in our definition of a good hike.

From the lookout, you can see 1/5th of the island. From that vantage point, it really does make you realize you are on an island, with so much of the coastline in view.

Brady spotted these strawberry guavas. We ate tons of them. They are sweet, with a little tang.

One of the "few people" we passed snapped this one when we were coming back down:
After our hike, we went over to Hanalei Bay. We have been there one other time, but it was cloudy and did not stun us. This time, we ate our sack lunches and walked the beach for over an hour, and loved it. Hanalei means "crescent," and the beach here is long and shaped in a c-curve. We enjoyed watching surfers of all levels, and we sincerely wished we had our boards, too. We really need to get on this surfing thing if we have any intention of getting decent at it.

Yum.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Wow. I love your backyard paradise! And you guys are great photographers!

Karri said...

Looks like so much fun!What beautiful pictures you took!

Anonymous said...

I have a houseplant Strawberry Guava! It's due to get fruit this coming summer, we'll se how it goes. I'm excited to try them. After buying it I read that it is supposed to grow into a 20 foot tree, so I'll have to keep it well pruned until we're millionaires and have a huge greenhouse. haha What a great hike that sounds like. Hawaii came up in class today, and I mentioned that my friend Karen lives in Hawaii. One of my students said "I hate your friend Karen." I had to laugh.

~~Heidi~~ said...

Okay so sometime we really need to go hiking with you guys. That looked awsome! And I love the deff. of Brady on the Beach. Silly girl!

NW Varneys said...

I was searching for the strawberry guava in that last pic. :)

Suzie said...

Brady you're killing me! I am about ready to sell a kidney so I can go back to Hawaii. Your pictures are great. Someone is quite the photographer!