Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Kauai Fall in January

 I love January.  I used to get the major blues: it was the end of holidays and gatherings and parties and often meant that I was doing some sort of physical or dietary challenge that meant less fun for my taste buds.  I've rid myself of associating January with resolutions and instead make modest goals meant to elevate my daily life and satisfaction rather than make it feel like extra or prohibitive work.  Also, the sun is still shining in Kauai despite the crisp temperatures, giving a break from heat but not the gorgeous sky and water.

Playdate with huge bubbles:


Brady on the left:

January also means piano recital, which the kids haven't had since last January.  They were both very anxious getting up on stage.  Zachary zoomed through his songs but survived without errors and Kate led the way as she does every recital, going first and playing a duet with me.  

The kids ate Panda Express afterwards to celebrate.  A local lady, after eating her meal about 10 feet away and then throwing away all her food without a mask on, came and chastised our family for not having masks on.  "It is the law here.  You need to respect the law."  We were pretty surprised, realizing she expected we were tourists.  Brady was a little feisty with her, letting her know that we were eating just like her in the designated, legal eating area, far away from others, and we did in fact live here.  It should not matter that we live here.  There is still a lot of anger at tourists right now, and it is a hostile environment.


Wakeboarding:


On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Brady had time off but the kids still had piano.  We surfed, then dropped them off at lessons and did a short, muddy hike.


Muddy, sleepy pup!
Double rainbow!
I mentioned to Brady that I wanted to make a planter bed, and "I would make all of it if you will just pick up the materials at Home Depot."  Translation: "Can you please make the planter bed on Saturday?"
He even painted it to match our house.
Hot tubbing:
Another day, another hike with Owen. We could not convince the others to join us.
"Look!  I caught a (dead) fish!"


Roxy's favorite position at night: she barks until we let her up on our bed.
Waiting out soccer practice.  Sadly, the kids' practices do not line up so I'm at soccer fields Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.  On Wednesday, I'm at ballet.  So, we probably should have lived in Kalaheo since we live there every afternoon...

Another gold star!  Pee monitor is working!
Owen finding friends to run around with while Kate is at practice:
Zachary always makes his bed:
Idiot moment when I thought I had my board strapped on tight, but it flipped over and snapped.  Lucky it was a $100 board and not my nice one.
Kate and Shay:

Kate made a goal to cook dinner once a month.  She made a creamy chicken pasta and key lime pie.






Walking through Kukuiolono Park while Kate dances:
Mom and Kate date after I dropped off kids at preschool.  We went to Kalaheo Cafe and finished off with a surf.

Kate and her friend Milly, who will only be here for a few months:

We've been to Hanalei the last three weekends.  Kate and Milly surf tandem after hours surfing solo.  The weather has been perfect and the waves messy but fun. Owen even surfed one day!


Love this fall:


Brady:


The day Zachary decided he was too old for lego displays and generously put them all on Owen's floor and dresser.
I spy a gold star: nine nights in a row!
Kate is so patient and friendly, playing with Owen many days a week.

Just when I think it is safe to chuck the play dough, the kids play with it for hours.



COVID mer-people:
Exploring during dance:


Making kumquat jam at Carol's house!  It took over 4 hours to pick the fruit, dissect the seeds, and make the jam, but we were with people we loved so it flew by.





Finally ordered from a Mexican food truck that has been in Koloa for years and had the best fish tacos OF MY LIFE.

Three surfer girls, living their best life at Hanalei:
Super Bowl Sunday at Heidi's.  I've never cared about professional sports, but I care even less than before.  Did the Chiefs play?  Where are the Chiefs even from?  I also don't care about commercials.  I am really happy to support my husband and son who do love NFL football and bond over it most weekends.  I also love food and we had some great pupus, I walked the dog and listened to a book, and the kids played.  We finished off the afternoon walking it all off at the park, feeding chickens, blowing bubbles and catching a sunset.

We found someone's abandoned pet chicken:















The next day, Kate cashed in her free coupon for hair with Heidi, getting semi-permanent pink.  She is begging for permanent, and we are on the hunt for the best product.


Heidi graciously dyed Owen's hair, too.
Mondays are for piano lessons and the dog park:


Hands down my favorite moment of the month: coming downstairs after a workout to see Owen and Kate singing their hearts out together.
Ballet/petting zoo at Hilary's:

1 comment:

Kevin Nufer said...

Too old for Legos! That makes me sad. Deep down inside, I don't consider myself too old for those, though he's very generous to Owen

I'm excited for this vaccine to be more widely distributed, to allow some people to calm down a bit. Apart from those it's physically affected, it's taken an emotional and social toll on so many more.

Love you,
Kevin