Sunday, August 18, 2019

Mosquito Lovers Do Glacier, 3: Cold Baths and Celebrating 18 Years with Hot Cocoa and Fresh Fish

Good Morning, Glacier!  Day 3 goes down as my favorite.  We got up and hiked to Lake Elizabeth, checking out wildlife and lusting over the ranger's ranch in the backcountry.
The fence around the ranger's ranch:







We stopped first at a waterfall and then at the lake to swim.  I love the picture of me at the falls reflected in Brady's sunglasses.  


Cory took the opportunity to fish in his unders, and the rest of us milked the sunshine and anticipated our next campsite.

All cleaned up and ready for tuna and crackers.  Brady busted out his Cheese Whiz.


We arrived at camp and Cory and Kristen snuggled while Brett and Shireen took off to fish.  Brady and I could barely stand knowing there was another lake nearby so we took off for a backpack-less hike.  It's my favorite kind of hiking.  Ha!


We celebrated our anniversary gazing at Lake Helen.  From our viewpoint, we counted 12 waterfalls. 12!  The extra miles were absolutely worth the view.


18 years!  So happy to be so happy.



We arrived back to Lake Elizabeth in time to watch Cory stalk Brett with his binoculars, and then take out a duck with his fishing line.  It flopped end-over-end and had us in fits of giggles after we were sure it was okay...maybe even before we knew it was okay.

Naptime!
As soon as twilight set in, Brett started pulling them in.  He caught 4 back-to-back, and Cory and Brady got in on the action and caught one each.  After Alaska, I was excited to gut the fish and have the full experience.  Brett showed me the ropes and I only freaked out a little (lot) when I felt the fish moving after all the guts were removed.  Eek.


I thought I would also be able to kill the fish, but that proved a little too much for me.  Maybe next backcountry trip.

The reflection off the lake!
Brady taking care of the fish with ease.

Shireen had the best reaction to guts.
Kristen also dissected like a pro.  We all came out of the experience feeling like maybe we could survive in the wild.



Boys bringing in the bacon:
That night was my favorite of the trip.  We dissected the fish and cooked it up in our curry lentils.  Cory and Kristen hauled corn tortillas which we toasted up.  It was so incredibly delicious and also felt a little crazy and dangerous after all our bear sightings.  At one point, I heard a big splash and I was pretty sure we were about to face a grizzly.  (It was a bird.). We were careful to stay far away from the camping area and to wash ourselves thoroughly.


Food cooked and eaten outside is the best food, and any kind of real meat after days of dehydrated food tastes like a slice of heaven.


This was my third cup of cocoa that day...  Happy anniversary to us.

No comments: