Monday, August 12, 2019

Mosquito Lovers Do Glacier, 2: Backcountry, Suspension Bridges, and Yogi the Bear


After a stunningly comfortable sleep on our inflatable backpacking pads, we packed up for our big adventure--three days of backcountry.  We made one last stop for Red Bull and real fruit, and Cory gave Kristen signals for more birthday fun to come.

I was so apprehensive at this stage of the trip.  I want to love backpacking, but I always wonder if my back will do okay.  Early in the summer, I pulled a muscle in my back/neck after hoisting Owen in the pack while hiking.  It healed, then pulled again a month later.  I did not want to wreck anyone's adventure.  As soon as we got going, my nerves settled.  It helped that Shireen is the funniest woman I've ever known and she had us belly laughing for hours.  

Our "not staged at all" photos:










The views were so different than what we saw at Grinnell.  Meadow after meadow, filled with wildflowers.





Shireen, "It's not Gucci; it's Lulu," Olsen:

Another Shireen, with her slippers attached to the bottom of her backpack, "I put my shoes here so they'd kick me in the a*& every step."

We arrived at Gable Creek Campground early afternoon, and secured our food and toiletries from bears.  We set up our tent in exactly two minutes and thirty-nine seconds and took off for more hiking.  
When we assumed the ambiance couldn't get better, we hit a suspension bridge and giggled as we individually crossed.

We found an enchanting little waterfall to soak and clean up in, and moved on to the gusty Lake Cosley to cast our lines, collect colorful rocks, and rest on gravel.









I wanted to pack these out for Zac's collection--I mean, I wanted Brady to pack these out--but he told me to take a picture instead.  One of the best moments of the trip was when we were at the ranger station on day 1, and Cory asked, "Where do I find the part of Lake Elizabeth with the colorful rocks?"  The ranger looked baffled by the question and we quickly realized why--these babies are all over the bottom over every single lake.


On the way back to camp, at the hour when the wild things appear, Kristen spotted the hump of a grizzly.  In true Yogi Bear fashion, he popped up and checked us out, looking rapidly from person to person and then trotting off--through our campsite.  To say we were a little jumpy that night was an understatement.

No comments: