Thursday, January 02, 2014

Zac Surfs, Christmas Parties, and Santa Comes to Town

 With all the sickness flying around our house at the beginning of December, we had a lot of time to do crafts.  A LOT.  We started making a bunch of Christmas trees, and I thought they'd be the perfect medium to do the "25 Acts of Service."  We wrote a small act of service on the back of each tree, and the kids were so excited to claim the tree when they completed the act.  Some of them were to participate in a Secret Santa, deliver treats to someone we haven't seen for a long time, make Dad a lunch, clean a bathroom, donate a toy, read a story to Kate, etc.  It was cute and we were lucky to get through all 25 by Christmas.
 Brady ran in and out of Kalalau on the 2nd Friday in December.  He did it with Nic, Spencer, Todd and a few other guys, including a guy writing up an article about it.  Brady was lucky and one of the only ones who came out of that 22 mile trail run without an injury.  The next day, he sent me to run and surf between three different Christmas events.


The next day, he sent me to run and surf between three different Christmas events.  The kids first went to a pancake breakfast fundraiser for Koloa Elementary.



Next up, playing at the bounce houses, free shave ice, face painting, and a Santa visit at Kauai Coffee.



While they played the day away, I attended Genevieve's annual Christmas Cookie Exchange.

Between the picture above and the picture below, taken a week earlier at our Christmas Book Club party, I realize two things:  1) I like stripes, and 2) I am so lucky to have good girlfriends.


Later that day, we attended our ward Christmas party, where Santa made an appearance.
Zachary and Kate were holding hands and singing "Christmas Bells" at the front of the room with all the primary kids, when Santa came in with a loud, "HO, HO, HO!"  Zac and Kate started jumping up and down.  It was so cute.  We stood in line to talk to him.  Kate willingly sat on his lap, and before he could even ask, she said, "Santa?  Will you please bring me a pink bike and a Barbie?"  Santa (a good friend of ours) said, "We'll have to see!  Have you been a good girl?"  Kate responded, "Yes I have!  And Santa?  You are my best friend.  I love you so much."


Zachary couldn't be outdone.  He told Santa, "I'm such a good boy.  I'm really nice to my sister, Kate.  She loves me a lot.  You remember that I was student of the month?  Did Ralphie tell you?  And did he tell you I can read now?"  (Ralphie is our elf, via Elf on the Shelf.)  Zachary was such a chatter box!


The next weekend, Brady had a lot of work to do for our house.  We decided to go to Hanalei and have our family outing early, and he went into work later that night.


 About 6 months ago, Zac took a big fall on some "scary" waves.  He has not wanted to surf since.  We told him he could have a scotcheroo treat if he surfed 5 waves.  He was so anxious, but he went out with Brady, and caught 12 rides!  We were so proud of him for doing it even when he did not want to.





 Love the piggies:

 This says "Merry Christmas" with a Christmas tree, but Kate sat right on the message.
 This is Frostina, our Christmas sandman.  Brady and the kids built her while I surfed.  This gal had many photo ops by lots and lots of people.



 We ran along the beach and played with sand balls while Brady surfed.  I think this pic screams joy.

When we got home, Zac finally got to build the gingerbread house.  He had asked to build it since November 30th, but candies and frosting do not last well in our humid climate.  He was most excited about the Santa and reindeer at the top of the tree.


A few days later, we attended yet another Christmas party, this time for Brady's work.  It was adults-only, so a chance to get dressy.  Yes, this is what dressy looks like in Kauai.  I promptly changed it to my FB profile pics, because I feel like I can count on my hands the number of Kauai pics I have without a swimsuit or workout clothes.  


2 comments:

Kristen Nufer said...

Kate and Zac were so funny with Santa! Allison was much more shy with him, and there was no way Kaylee would have been willing to sit on his lap.

You have cute kids, and we're glad you had a good Christmas.

Eric and Jill said...

leo was all about impressing santa this yr. don't know if you could tell from the pic or not. haha.