Monday, December 30, 2013

Student of the Month!

The beginning of December started out with a bang!  Zachary was selected as the Student of the Month and honored in an assembly at Koloa Elementary.  It was a surprise, so he did not know until the assembly that he'd been chosen.

Mr. Hasagawa did a drum roll and called out each student's name, explaining the reasons the teacher had selected them.  Zac was selected for being a willing student, always prepared and excited to learn.
Zac walked toward Kate and I, trying to suppress a smile.
 Kate decorated him with a lei.


 He was all smiles after the assembly.  Over and over, he asked, "Are you so proud of me, Mom and Dad?"  Yes, buddy.  We are so, super proud of you!
The rest of that week was not as great.  At the assembly, two kids threw up.  We knew the tummy flu was going around, so we were not that surprised when Kate came down with it.  She would run to the toilet to "fro up," wash her hands, and then run around and play.  In the meantime, Zachary came down with a severe ear infection and a bronchial infection.  Several doctor appointments and a week later, everyone was fine.  We only had one major mishap.

On Day 2 out of 4 for Kate's tummy troubles, I thought she was okay.  She'd been running around and happy for a couple of hours, and Brady wanted me to get a permit fee turned in to the county.  It was a 30 min drive there and 30 min drive back, and while I was a little anxious about her tummy, I didn't think she was still sick.

Right after submitting the check, I put the kids in the car.  Kate started fussing, and I worried that she might be...

WHAT!?  Yes, I couldn't even finish that thought before she threw up again, and again, and again, all over my car.  The worst part is the poor child is potty trained, so I literally had nothing to clean her up with (bye-bye wipes), and there were no restrooms I could get into without making a major scene.  She was sticky and miserable, the car absolutely REEKED, and the best I could offer her to de-mess herself was my shirt.

Of course my 30 min car ride home involved some additional traffic, so it was a full 45 minutes before my baby got to the bathtub.  The whole way home, Zac was singing her songs, trying to keep her happy.  All the while, he had a "It really stinks in here" expression.  Wish I had a picture of his face.

What a mommy moment.

The moral of the story is you should never get rid of all your wipes.

3 comments:

Kristen Nufer said...

Great job, Zac! How terrible with the car, though!

-Kevin (the last post was mine too; didn't want to sign out and sign back in)

Eric and Jill said...

Oh my goodness, I can only imagine!!! Yes, wipes wipes wipes wipes! How I love them so. haha

Eric and Jill said...

And p.s. GO ZAC!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a cutie.