Friday, June 14, 2013

Girls' Weekend

Mid-May, the boys in town planned to hike into Kalalau.  Mary was also leaving (aka my adventure partner-in-crime).  I could not convince Brady that it was safe for me to hike back into Kalalau and camp with just a girl or two, so instead we decided to do a girls' weekend on the north shore.  Our intent was to hike on the Kalalau Trail into mile 6, where Hanakoa Falls can be seen.  I've hiked back there one other time about six years ago, but we didn't find the falls.

We got only one other girl to join us in this adventure, but several others joined us overnight.  Kat got a babysitter and took off with us early in the morning.  Unfortunately, we left the beautiful weather of the south shore behind and entered the rainy conditions of the north shore.  It was muddy, cloudy, and wet, but still beautiful.  We decided we could not risk going into Hanakoa--recently, several people have been swept out to sea from crossing the river at Hanakapai (mile 2) in rainy conditions.  Going in to Hanakoa meant far greater risk of the river rising while we were gone and we didn't want to get caught on the other side or make any risky decisions.  Instead, we crossed the river and hiked only two more miles into Hanakapai Falls.  It was disappointing--I had been anxious to see something new.  Better safe than sorry, though!  It was Kat's first time hiking on the Kalalau, and Mary's first time swimming under the falls, so I got a kick out of joining them in the best-day-hike-ever.

Hiking makes me feel alive.  That sounds cliche and cheesy, but swimming under the falls and crossing streams and slipping around on muddy rocks is my favorite.

We did a little north shore shopping, then joined Christina and Courtney for dinner and a late night swapping stories and laughing.

I woke up early--I was too excited to sleep--and took off running.  I've always wanted to run in Princeville, and finally got my chance.  I went down to Hideaways beach and watched the early morning snorkelers.  The north shore is beautiful.

Kat, Mary and I spent the rest of the morning paddle boarding the Hanalei River--something we've wanted to do for a while.  It was gorgeous, but after all my sessions on the open ocean with Mary, it was a little slow.  A bit of current and some waves make a paddle boarding session more of a thrill.

We got back late afternoon on Saturday.  I love coming home from some time away from my family.  It is so funny how desperately I miss them and how exciting it is to reunite.

The weekend was nice way to have one final hurrah before Mary left (we went surfing another time, too), and made me a little less jealous of Brady's Kalalau trip the following weekend.

p.s.  I'm still hoping Kristen will come out here and do Kalalau with me for her birthday in July. ;)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I was reading this and thought, shoot, we will never get back there if Brady won't let us. We should have run it when we almost had the chance :) One day I'm going to do this.

Eric and Jill said...

Sounds like an awesome getaway! I also feel alive while hiking & totally get the family reunion emotions. :) Did I tell you that Eric won 2 roundtrip tix to anywhere in the U.S.? Soooo exciting!