Wednesday, June 17, 2009

VEM Reunion, Part 3

Kipu Falls

Monday night, Brady met us up at Kipu Falls, the 20' waterfall that we try to convince everyone to jump off. It still gives me the jitters a bit, but I no longer freak out on the ledge.

Aaron and Julie jumping off together:
Coleman's 6'6" hanging off a rope:
Kalalau Trail to Hanakapa'i Falls

Tuesday morning, I went with the gang on the 8 mile trek to Hanakapa'i Falls. The weather was perfect and the water clear and glassy.Our favorite beach on the island:
Aaron and Julie bought a new camera, and caught this snazzy shot.
The destination:
These shots (combined with the surfing shots below) convinced me that it is definitely time to get a zoom lens.
Surfing Kalipaki

Aaron really, really wanted to surf while here. Unfortunately, waves are not the best for beginners in June. We went early Thursday morning, where we had to wait forever between waves. It was pretty successful, though, especially considering all the conditions for a first-time run. I absolutely LOVED being out there early in the morning, and it convinced me that I need to do that more often, even if I'm alone with other surfers. I think I'm finally to the point that I won't kill myself on reef.

Aaron and I are in the middle:

2 comments:

NW Varneys said...

Thanks for the surfing coaching Karen. Karen did witness me stand up at the end of my 3rd wave for a couple of seconds. Not bad considering I only caught 4. My 4th attempt my arms wouldn't even push me up on the board. Prior to our next visit, I will do a bit more swimming and upper body strength training, so I don't fatigue as quickly!

Roni, Coleman, Makadie and Anika said...

Seeing all the pictures again just reminds us how unbelievable our trip was! There were numerous times we would all ask each other--it this for real? Are we really in Hawaii? Well we were and we miss it like crazy already!