Wednesday, June 17, 2009

VEM Reunion, Part 2

Waimea Canyon

We took off from loading up our camping gear, and headed straight for Kauai's "Grand Canyon." The views were splendid, but the fresh coconut flakes, mango candy and other treats we purchased from a local vendor made it even better.


Alakai Swamp Trail

By the time we reached the trailhead at the top of the road, it was approaching three o'clock. We weren't too concerned, though. According to my recollection, the trail was only like 4 miles, and it was easy. We made lunches and off we went.
The sexy boys with a goregous backdrop:
Alakai Swamp is the highest swamp in the world.
This is about the time when Zachary pooped. Somehow, in our haste to make lunches and be on our way, we remembered everything except our son's needs--a diaper, wipes, and a few snacks. Wow, seriously?
Here is the halfway point, where the trail opens up and you suddenly see Hanalei Bay, on the north side of the island. This was also the point when I started to wonder if "maybe the trail is a little longer than 4 miles."
The people who took our picture were also nice enough to feed our child snacks.


We rushed back to the car to take care of our stinky little man, and discovered that the trail was actually closer to 8 miles. It took Brady and I two hours to drive home, because I got car sick and made Brady drive 10mph. The rest of the gang ate dinner at 11pm, and I think we were all still friends despite my wild underestimating of distance and time.

1 comment:

Roni, Coleman, Makadie and Anika said...

Man--I still think about that toasted coconut from that little vendor man. It was so yummy! I wonder if I could make that here!