Monday, October 15, 2007

You, too, can have flabby arms


When we moved here, I noticed immediately that it was nearly impossible to get mildew-free results after a shower scrub. Things grow fast here, with the climate as it is. Living in UT and CA, I never had a problem with shower growth, and I kind of got on my high horse when people told me they were frustrated with bathroom cleaning. I figured they really were not actually scrubbing their showers every week, and thus the slimy shower.

Every week for the past 5 months, Brady and I spent the longest amount of cleaning time in our shower with various cleaners and a scrub brush. We have been especially frustrated with mildew in the grout, which did not respond to any amount of scrubbing. We have tried to look at the bright side, figuring it was at least a great shoulder and arm workout. We still kept looking for other cleaners, but have always been sceptical and disappointed with the "magical" results advertised.

Well, believe in magic. One Saturday, we were picking up an order at Home Depot, and ventured across the commercial cleaners section. I looked down, and noticed that for $2.45, I could try Zep Commercial Mildew and Mold Stain Remover. I decided it was worth a few dollars to try again with a new cleaner.

In the directions, it says to apply and come back to scrub after two minutes. I sprayed, worked on the sink, and disheartedly opened the shower curtain back up to...NO BLACK in my grout. No scrubbing or anything!!!! I could not believe it, and screamed for Brady to come. He, of course, thought I must have seen a cane spider in the shower, and came running.

It is not too good to be true. I seriously spend 5 min scrubbing my shower (compared to almost an hour!), and most of that is simply rinsing down the walls.

I am plenty happy to find other ways to work out my arms. Maybe it's time to try surfing again.

8 comments:

Travis and Jamie said...

Amazing! I will have to try this stuff. I hate cleaning the shower. I am ashamed to say that I am one of those who doesn't clean it every week.

Eric and Jill said...

Eric and I were just at Home Depot and that's one of the things we bought thanks to you! - glad that's the right brand. Now I know I won't be sweating it out in the shower ever again. ;) I get to use this wonderful stuff this week. I'll be sure to let you know if I'm in love.

Ken said...

hmmm...
I need to re-caulk our bathroom because it's been getting kinda gross. Maybe I need to look into this stuff.

To answer your question:
The celebration marked Eugene's 25th anniversary... They have on every year...
www.eugenecelebration.com

NW Varneys said...

Well, we don't scrub our shower every week, and I am not ashamed. :) I am amazed that anyone does! Congrats on your find. By the way--what was the stuff you used on our bathtub in Provo? I think it started with a Z, too. Took the black out that came with our apartment.... We don't need it at the moment, but I thought it would be good to know for future reference.

cory said...

Wow, this should be an ad for these guys!

Unknown said...

Awesome. Now we can look forward to taking a shower in your mildew-free bathroom as well as snorkeling the Napali Coast. - Kristen

Brady and Karen said...

Aaron and Julie,

Yeah, that was ZAP. This stuff isn't nearly as nasty to work with, but I would still be careful with any fabrics or "fake" materials. I would be really careful around metal fixtures, too. ZAP really damages those, and I bet this stuff would, too.

But it really is good stuff.

Keri Hennefer said...

You can't put hero next to peoples names in contacts. It's disrespectful!!!