Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Real Mountain Biking

We purchased these bikes a year and a half ago, and we have put many miles on them. Most of the miles have been roads and paved trails. On Saturday, we took them out for some real mountain biking.

The adventure we embarked on was described as "rigorous." Looking back, that makes me a feel a little better. Up and down, around gaping holes, mud, and gravel was the experience that tested my limited biking skills. Along the way, we passed zero pedestrians. However, two trucks full of hunters (and with solid 4WD) did pass. It was very disconcerting to see one hunter--about 3 miles in--sitting on the side of the road, obscured by the greenery, holding a giant shot gun. He had an almost vacant expression, which made seeing him that much more CREEPY.

We finally reached the trail head we were aiming for. I was so ready to get off my bike and let my trembling quads have a break! Unfortunately, there were many hunters, and they warned us about not wearing hunter orange. We decided that they were probably right, and we also did not want to risk stowing our bikes in the state that is often cited for some of the highest rates of petty theft.
On the way back, we took some pictures of the other side of Waimea Canyon. The hike we were planning to take would have given us more stellar views, but that will have to wait until we invest in neon t-shirts.


We did find a great trail after all. It followed a stream, and was so rarely used that the entire way was covered with grass. On the way, I realized just how much I love the peace and calm of being outdoors with no one around except us! (No, do not start any other family rumors from this. Sorry to disappoint, Ang and Paul.) Mostly, I am realizing that this rural lifestyle really works for me!

The hike was a nice break, but the dreaded hills were still waiting on the way back. Brady was tough and stayed on his bike the entire time. I wimped out (multiple times), and just ran/walked my bike up parts of the never-ending inclines. Lame.

Needless to say, it drove me a little crazy that I could not keep up with Brady. On Tuesday, I went out on my bike after work and biked as hard as I could just to clear my guilty conscience. It felt great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't get shot!! Neon t-shirts sound like a good idea.

Douglass Family said...

I would have thought that Brother Edwards hair would have met the hunter safety requirement??? It must have been the obstructing bicycle helmet.

Eric and Jill said...

Karen, you are crazy! Guilty conscience for what? That your husband is, by nature, stronger than you?! Geesh! Take a deep breath, since that is OK! haha. ;)

{Erica} said...

Karen and Brady,
I'm not sure if you remember me and my husband but we were in the BYU 200th ward with you guys. Bret and brady were home teaching companions and we were all in choir together..anyway, I found your blog through Mimi Mcdonalds blog (she emailed me and told me she had seen your blog) and so I got curious and "popped" over to see what crazy adventures you guys have been on. You guys look well and happy and loving life. I hope you don't mind if I check in from time to time....I think your blog is great!