Sunday, July 08, 2007

Celebrating Independence

This fourth of July Karen and I decided to pursue one of our favorite past-times....hiking. The Kalalau Trail begins at the entrance to the Napoli Coast. We have concluded that this hike is a must do for visitors.

This pictures sums up the surroundings while hiking....beautiful oceans views accompanied by lush green jungle.


Panda bears would be loving this section of the hike.

The 4.5 mile trail ends at Hanamake'ai Falls....bet you can't pronounce that. I still can't.


Even though we knew we would be hiking to a waterfall with a pool, we still looked like clueless tourists due to our lack of swim-wear. We dove in anyway with our hiking clothes. Swimming behind the waterfall is just as romantic as it sounds. Swimming under it, however, leaves you only with a mouthful of Leptospirosis (the bacteria found in fresh water).


I'm getting better at taking our own pictures.

On the way back from the falls we took a slight detour and discovered the most beautiful beach I've seen in my life. You have to hike two miles from any road to get here. In the winter, this beach will sport 10+ foot waves. I'm currently taking reservations for winter visitors.

Karen's valient attempts to stay awake on the drive home...

We spent the remainder of the day with our friends Nic and Heidi, and their son Ty, eating a yummy salad bar and heading off for fireworks.

Happy July 4th!

12 comments:

Emily said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, I'm so jealous of you guys

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

ok, it's official, I'm moving in. Ok, perhaps not, since we did pass on that option... but we for sure need to visit. I'll pack my cutest PJ's, Karen, and I want to go hiking at this spot. Is that a deal?!

cory said...

man, I knew we should have done that hike!

Brady and Karen said...

Bring it, Shireen. In fact, I just might go purchase some new PJs for the occasion. My cut-offs simply won't do for the entire week.

Travis and Jamie said...

Ok, we are Jealous. Obviously we don't keep in touch enough to know that ya'll were moving to Hawaii. Enjoy your tropical paradise.

Erica said...

I absolutely LOVE that hike! I am so jealous. I need to move back there, I am aching for Hawaii again! I seriously would love to live there again. Soak it all in while you can! It goes by FAST!

NW Varneys said...

Classic Karen pic in the car. :)
Add the hike to our list of to-dos next year! And the beach. You're keeping track of our itinerary, right? :)

Elder Bryson Ritchie said...

Looks good! I'm game for that hike, just so I don't have to get in a kayak (he, he)

Natalie and Steve said...

Karen, you are so cute when you sleep.

cory said...

Is that some new-fangled eye bra you're wearing as you snooze?

Eric and Jill said...

that snoozin' pic brings back memories.

Unknown said...

Man brady is ugly! And Carey is Scenic you cant diss it if you haven't been there!
JH