Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Spring Break, etc.

Lonomea was our our major adventure for Spring Break, but prior to the weekend, we filled our days with beach and birthday.  For Kate's celebration this year, she envisioned an indoor "tea party style" breakfast.  She planned the entire event, picked out decor, made the flower arrangements, helped clean, helped cook, and created the after-brunch activity.  She also made her invites (oops, it was supposed to say 2023) and even laminated menus.


I was so impressed with her guest list--her YW class as well as friends from school and dance.  Since it was spring break, plenty of girls were out of town so we fit everyone completely fine.  


Love the banner with kids bouncing in the background.








Fruit bar, waffles, orange syrup, buttermilk syrup, bacon, and eggs topped out the breakfast.


Macaroons and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

She divided the girls into even groups and they each drew from a bowl of plot lines and had 45 minutes to create a movie.  Afterwards, we gathered in the Living Room to watch their creations.  So many giggles and so much creativity!  These girls know their way around iMovie.  I was impressed with the way Kate thoughtfully grouped the girls so they each had at least one person they were very comfortable with and there was no awkwardness.  

Opening up some presents afterwards.  My heart was full of gratitude of these girls and the way they've shaped mine.  Also, I was so impressed with the way the girls all treated Owen--kind and inclusive.

In other Spring Break-ish news (later), Ava showed up at our house one day while I pushed through a Peloton workout and I almost sobbed.  Miss her so much.  Owen and the other Owen swam and played and ran around for the week after spring break.


Over a three-week period, I had a few mishaps at First Break.  First, I slammed my elbow on my board after a long fall.  It gave me such a dead arm, I struggled to get clear from the inside/whitewater.  It is still sore!  At least I had a really pretty bruise to show for it.


Not long after that, I was surfing there again with Nic, once again falling hard but this time smacking my face on my board.  I thought it was just another bruise and paddled back out to meet Nic, who looked at me and hesitantly said, "Um...you are really bleeding."  I had no idea.  It mostly stopped and we surfed for 45 more minutes, but it was junky because my eye hurt and it turns out that messes with my surf psyche.  After getting out the water, Robert assessed me and we opted no stitches.  (Retrospectively, I think stitches would have helped with healing and scarring.  As my friend Dr. Betty said, "Come to a female doctor for anything on your face.")


The next day, my eye heavy and puffy, and over the course of the next few days, it turned brilliant shades of purple.



Brady taking a rare Sunday snooze: 
...after grooming the pup:

I found a new favorite açaí and know the lady who works there well.  The best part of this place is the order ahead option which means no more waiting in a hot, stuffy store for 20-45 minutes!


These two keep taking selfies on my phone.


Kate got her birthday surf...

...some birthday bubbles...
...birthday hangout sessions...
...and some birthday boogie.  Not on her actual birthday, which she was disappointed to learn fell on a "normal school day," but we made sure to honor the birthday month.  Ha!

Dad was gone on her real birthday but we tried hard to make it memorable.


Morning donuts at school drop off.

Officially 12!
Smoothies after school.
Kalaheo Cafe takeout for dinner.
A new soft top for days her epoxy seems too small.
New swimwear, which was Owen's gift to her.  Naturally, he had to model it.
Dad joined on the FaceTime birthday song.  Happy birthday, sweet girl.

An afternoon at Allertons where we spur-of-the-moment met up with 5 other families.


Zac is now too cool for a rash guard but also for sunscreen reapplications.


Another day, another surf session.  Love these happy girls.


Lucky Owen got to beach with his bestie, Kelly, one afternoon while I shuffled Kate and Zachary around to their activities.

They always manage to simulate fights--on the playground, in the backyard, on the trampoline, and in the sand.

Owen is sort of a lego kid, but definitely an art and dress up kid.


Like every year after spring break, the first day back was rough but we got into the swing of normalcy again.  I checked off a 10 hour class during the break and went back feeling slightly more prepared for Quarter 4.  Brady ran to Vegas for work and Utah for fun, where he met up with his parents, his friends, and the best snow of his life.  I drove around the island for extra school and practice pick-ups/drop-offs and appreciated how much he does for the family, too.













1 comment:

Kevin Nufer said...

Nice post! I had a few kids around me while reading this, and I was reminding them who their aunt, uncle, and cousins were. When we got to that picture of Roxy (is that her name?), there was a chorus of "Aww!"