Sunday, January 23, 2022

Prelude to Christmas

 The soccer tournament in Oahu meant we had a delay getting Christmas up this year.  We still put it up on the 1st, but it was a rush to get Brady home in time, and Zachary really wanted to still go to Edge that night.  We saved his ornaments for him to put up once he got home.


I love revisiting our trips and firsts every year with the tree.


Kate was so happy to put up the Nutcracker ornament Brady and I bought in San Francisco at the ballet 15 years ago.



Owen: "I love our Christmas tree SO MUCH!"



Zachary has a special relationship with Roxy-girl.  She hangs with him every night.





Getting our bake on!  Kate and her friend make the sugar cookies this year, and the kids decorated one every night for a week.  The first night included unlimited sprinkles, and it was kind of hard to watch.








Owenʻs baseball season came and went in a flurry of sunshine, rain, and fly balls.  15 games spread over 5 weeks, and some of the games were weeknights clear in Kekaha.  Four seasons of baseball with Zachary prepped me for t-ball season with Owen, and not having a newborn baby at the games made this way more enjoyable.  I loved watching him charge the baseballs and make plays.  T-ball is the cutest.

Kate went to several games with her support t-shirt.  She rounded up a bunch of boys and they played an intense soccer game.

Celebrating the season with his team at Koloa Mill.

Freezing cold ice cream on a freezing cold day (60 degrees).


Rainbows over athletic fields are one of my favorite bonus moments of a week.
Coach Dave with the post-game chat.
Owen scored at least a point in every game.  Their team was undefeated, although it was super weird to me that anyone cared because they are 5-6 years old.  T-ball parents are very sportsmanlike, though, and always cheering for the other team.  


Shaka, no, "I love you."

One of the best parts of Christmas is opening Mom and Dad Edwardsʻ 12 Days gifts.  They are always thoughtful, include a meaningful poem, and full of fun ideas.


Kate, Owen, Roxy, and I went biking with Christmas lights every night in the twilight.  That is my favorite Christmas calendar to-do every year.




Some everyday:



The girls went caroling to some of the elderly ladies in our ward. 
A dog park post-rain shot.
Lucky sunset waves.
Owen, ready to give his talk and sitting over starfruit.
The kids think Christmas season should involve a piano break but not so.

Spirit Week!

I spent three weeks so sick.  Everyone in our family breezed through the soccer tourney cold (negative for COVID), but I ended up with a sinus infection and it took my voice and energy away.  Once I was healthy, it was a mad rush to make up for PTA tasks I signed on for: teacher appreciation gifts and inclusive holiday items for students.  
I had to cancel many days of subbing I had already committed to, but the last week of school before break, I taught my favorite class every day (and even got to dress up with the kids for spirit week).


This year, the kids decorated the gingerbread house independently.  It was fun to watch them work it out and be there for photo support.






I hosted our annual Book Club end-of-year party.  I had to reschedule because I was still sick the week of the original event, and many ladies canceled citing illness and other commitments, but we still had a good time and ended with a few of us for the book exchange, end-of-year quiz and Christmas pupus.



Laytonʻs end-of-year event was outdoors and included some funny games for the employees.


Zachary worked so hard for school in December.  For English, they did a play/presentation and he made himself in charge of the art murals.  He painted this for days.


Every night until 10 or 11pm, he was at the table studying for finals.


The day after his last final, I found him like this immediately after school, sound asleep:


All his hard work paid off and heʻs learning valuable study skills.

The elves were creative and witty this year.  One day, they searched for ages but only found the elves later in the day (on our porch swing).

Roxy kept an eye on the elves, watching for signs of life.

This exhibit from the elves kicked off a flurry of snowflake art.

Kate and Owen regularly wrote kind notes and pictures for the elves and Santa.

"I luve uou Satu."  (I love you, Santa.)


Sunday nights and Sunday walks are my favorite.  The kids groan about it every week but itʻs all smiles once we get out of the house.







Brady took Zachary to Oahu with the other teen boys from Stebbins and Clarks families on the 23rd.  They made the most of every minute: fancy breakfast, delicious Moku dinner, Spiderman in theater, Dave and Busters, and a BYU basketball game.




SO CLOSE to the players!


Rise and shout!


David happened to be there!  He came down and sat with the boys.  He and Zachary did the dance-off and screen time on the Jumbotron.  I love those boys together so much.


No comments: