Sunday, December 06, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020


The week leading up to Thanksgiving, we were disappointed to learn that we would not get to host Mom and Dad Edwards.  We completely support their decision to opt out of voluntary travel during the pandemic and we were apprehensive about the plans leading up to their travel, but we still nursed some heartbreak knowing it would be a long time until we get them one-on-one again.  They are serving a mission starting January, which means Kauai is a long way off for them.  To add salt to the wound, Angela's family was planning to come during Thanksgiving and stay at Koloa Landing.  We were nervous for them as well, but they got all the COVID test details arranged, showed up for the test, and then given the news that the area was out of tests.  Sorry, Ritchies!  

We invited the Stebbins and Clarks to dinner at our home.  They have been our COVID cohort all along.  The Clarks did two COVID tests after Nic's surgery on the mainland so we all felt safe around each other.
Kauai still has very few cases of COVID.

Since we intended to have so many family members for Thanksgiving, I had purchased two turkeys and mountains of food to make the complete dinner.  We learned years ago that you do NOT wait to purchase any holiday item in Kauai after eating ham one T-Day with every turkey on Kauai sold out.  We donated food to the shelters, gave a turkey and pie to our neighbors to get rid of the excess.  

The food prep and dinner itself were the best I've had as an adult.  I remember this day as much more work than it actually was, and I think it is because I had another option.  After dining out the last two Thanksgiving, I feel free to go out for dinner on Thanksgiving now, and not trapped in the kitchen because it's a tradition and I'm a woman.    I also feel satisfaction sending my family off to play football while I work in the morning, and I know that is because I get so much time to myself surfing now.  Brady watches my back.  These are opinions and feelings I never expected to have after my years struggling with what this holiday means for gender divisions.

I've spent many hours this year studying social justice and seeking to understand my privilege and also the positions people of color and Indigenous people in our nation.  I cringe when I think of the way Thanksgiving was taught in my school, and it was a sweet experience to homeschool this year and work through the Thanksgiving myth with Kate for our social studies.  We are still reading about the Trail of Tears and making small steps in our home to increase awareness of our country's nuanced history.  We celebrated Thanksgiving as a day of gratitude and generosity.

Brady sawed my turkey in half the night before so I could do a test run in the Insta Pot.  It was mostly a success!  We had a few bites that turned out dry, but most of it was moist and flavorful.  
Shay, Kate and Owen played together the night before, promising to help cook with me.  That didn't happen, but they did lap up water from clean bowls like puppies and this picture is worth more to me than help with pie crust.
Thanksgiving rainbow!  Like always, the week of Thanksgiving was wet and rainy, with bouts of gorgeous sunshine.
Roxy and all the flies in our neighborhood went crazy for the smell of turkey.

Brady recruited troops to make mashed potatoes.
Yep, the kids still have to practice piano on Thanksgiving.  

The rain forced us to move our outdoor furniture inside, but it all worked out fine.




I started taking photos of the food, but the boys insisted the women serve up their plates first so I only have a few of the sides.  We enjoyed raspberry pretzel "salad," rolls, veggie tray, sweet potato mash, creamed corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, smoked turkey, Insta turkey, gravy, cheese ball, 







Robert killed a fly with his hand before it invaded the turkey.



Every single person in our house groaned when I suggested snapping a photo but they will thank me someday.  

Isaac had heat exhaustion and did not make it for dinner, but joined us later.








Brady took Zac and Caleb to the beach but there were no waves in sight.

Owen is too big for my child seat but I'm glad I kept it around.
Sam found things to do with his broken arm, driving the girls around.

Pie for dinner!



Mahjinka's perfect apple pie.
Games, bikes, trampoline, walks, and talks with family occupied the afternoon.
Funniest moments of the day: catching Zachary dumping whipping cream into a cup and eating it like ice cream, the kids topping broccoli with whipped cream, and me mistakenly dipping my veggies in gravy instead of ranch.


I had no desire to sip any of this but the kids took care of business.

 I still feel like a child playing house when I cook Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure what age I have to hit to believe I'm old enough to cook turkey.  It was a lovely, rainy day with friends that feel like family.

1 comment:

Kevin Nufer said...

Nice post! Your kitchen is beautiful, and the food looks like it was delicious. Sorry about your family having to cancel.