Friday, April 26, 2019

Easter 2019

First up on Good Friday: a trip to Koke'e for the annual Easter Egg Hunt and potluck.  I always forget how long this drive is when you aren't hiking in between--about an hour and a half (read: too long for an Easter Egg Hunt!).
Owen helped me hide the eggs in a tree clear across the huge field.  When the littles were given a head start to collect eggs all over the grass, he ignored all the obvious picks and ran as fast as his legs would take him to collect the eggs we hid together.



Zachary is doing the treat challenge with us and was such a good sport the whole day, despite the torture of watching other kids chow down on goodies and finding out the friend he hangs with at this event didn't make it.  We picked up David on the way home.
Saturday, we had an easy, soccer-free day (hooray for bye days intersecting on Zachary and Kate's teams!), and finished it off celebrating Tricia's birthday at Kekaha Beach with friends.  Kate had her own birthday celebration to attend, so I took her home early to make it for Lexi's party.

Sunday morning, Brady noticed that all the candy the bunny left on the stairs was gone.  He went upstairs and found Owen with his door closed and a mound of candy in front of him, his mouth full of chocolate.

The kids came downstairs to find their baskets, this year without broccoli and canned food.

My favorite of the Easter gifts: "She Persisted" by Chelsae Clinton.


After the hunt for candy and eggs, we rushed to get out the door for church.  I spoke on Jesus and the resurrection in Sacrament Meeting that day, and we stayed late for a meeting.  By the time we walked in the door, Brady spooked us by somehow beating us home.  Lucky for the kids, that meant a few Easter photos.






Thanks to Ava girl for the family shot.
That afternoon, we prepped food for Easter dinner and decorated eggs.



We arrived at Stebbins' home to a feast and fancy china.  They even used glass plates for the kids!  



I captured the kids and tweens, but forgot the adult table.
The best surprise was Nic's decorated egg, showing Brady during his awkward years.  Brady sent this to his family and his mom was misty-eyed with the memories.  I have never seen a funnier egg.  This also set off a "Who Done It Best: Awkward Years" photo competition between friends.  I think I may have won.

Next up, the Egg Derby!  Somehow, Zachary managed to win two years in a row.



Easter this year was deeply meaningful to me, likely because of all the time I spent preparing my talk for church.  I love the universality of this celebration: all will rise again, no matter the beliefs or life choices.  It is for all of humanity.  Like Christmas, I enjoy the combination of secular and religious celebration, but I do love that Easter is more focused on Jesus.  Spending time with my children and friends I love made it that much better.

No comments: