Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Sunny Day in Hanalei

I always say a sunny day in Hanalei is hard to beat and this day was no different.  It was chaotic getting there with a soccer game in the morning, but we packed up the car late the night before to make it as painless as possible.  Nic and Heidi joined us and we pulled into the beach before lunch.
My rib has hurt since Owen was 7 weeks old but the doctor told me to give it a go surfing.  I was careful and surfed only the "small kine waves," which still didn't feel the best.  Later in the day, I heard a popping sound and could barely paddle in.  Argh.  I hate long-healing injuries, especially those that keep me from running or surfing.
Zac is on a roll with surfing, and ran out in the water with his board almost before we could sunscreen him.  He rode waves all afternoon, coming in to eat bites of sandwich or play in the sand for a few minutes, and then charging back out.  He surprised me on this wave by catching the tail end of it and riding it in with me.
Kate rode waves all afternoon on her boogie board.
See Zac.  See Zac's tongue.
Seeing Kate really embrace her independence in the water is so exciting!  She's still cautious, but a little caution never hurts with the ocean.


Zachary was excited when Ty rode the same wave with him.

My favorite shot of the day.



The day made us grateful for Nic and Heidi's family and this beach that takes forever to get to but is almost always worth it.  We topped the day off with a stop at an Indian restaurant in Kapa'a.  So good!  It was a perfect and exhausting weekend, and reminded us that the beach may be the same scene, but a new adventure every time.

1 comment:

Natalie and Steve said...

I was realizing that it has been ages since I visited your blog. I LOVE all the pictures. I'm wishing my kids were really good swimmers--there isn't much of a place to learn around here.