Friday, January 15, 2016

Zachary Turns 8!

Zachary is such a good kid.  He's good at the benchmark stuff--he loves reading and math and being at school, and he works hard at the piano.  He's fast on the soccer field and consistently hits and runs fast for his baseball team.  He does his chores (mostly) without reminders and without constant nagging.  All of that is worth mentioning and part of what makes him great.

What I really love about Zachary are the tender moments.  His prayers are thoughtful.  Last Sunday, he jumped 8' off a playground structure.  This was an impulsive move and one that he regrets every moment right now with his swollen and bruised (not broken!) foot.  That night, he prayed that his friends would not have the same thing happen to them while they played tag.  He prays that Owen will sleep well at night so Mom and Dad can get rest, and that Kate won't have bad dreams.  

He's so social.  He loves being around other kids and every time I think about the possibility of home school, I cringe about him missing those opportunities.  When I help in his class, it is obvious that he's a leader.  

He loves to create--making up songs with Brady, drawing, and monthly science projects are his favorite things. 

He's also rough and silly plenty, but I'm learning that 8-year-old boys are commonly both of those things.  He's always been able to take criticism well and change his behavior without much drama.  

His birthday was sweet.  He knew that with a new baby, we couldn't go out to dinner right away or some of the other fun things we would normally plan.  The night before his birthday, he said, "I really hope the house gets decorated, but Mom, it's okay if you and Dad can't do it because I know you are tired and trying to get better from pushing out baby Owen."  (Of course we decorated!)
Here he is pretending he didn't know what this present was.  He accidentally found this ball early.
Kate's gift.
Zachary had so much fun with with Shay's roller blades that he begged to buy them with his own money.  He had nearly saved up enough and then gifted them for his birthday.  He's already cruising down the driveway and around the neighborhood.  He asked if I want to buy myself a pair so I can go with him, too.  I had in my head that our main bonding moments as mother/son would come surfing in the early am before school some mornings, but I'm thinking roller blades are going to be the way into his heart for the next while.  So yeah, I'm in the market.  

This cake was so gross but the kids loved it and there were probably 50,000 individual sprinkles on it.



Saturday, Brady took Zac's buddies David and Jojo out for Costco pizza and a few games of bowling.



No comments: