Sunday, August 18, 2013

Zachary Starts Kindergarten

 While the Ritchie's visited, Zachary had his very first day of school.  The school did a Kindergarten camp two weeks before school started.   It was a three hour, every day program to get the kids used to the campus, lunch room, and teachers before the mad rush of students.  As we approached the school, he was quieter and quieter.  Finally, we pulled into the parking lot.  I turned to him and said, "Zachary, it's okay that you are nervous.  I will be right next to you all the way in and I think you will love it."  Solemnly, he said, "Okay, Mom."

He held my hand tightly as we walked from the parking lot to the classroom.  As we got closer, he turned to me and said, "Mom, I don't think I need you to hold my hand anymore, but will you please walk right next to me?"  He was putting on a brave face and I was so touched.  We walked in, sat down, and learned the names of the kids around him.  The week went well and he ended it really excited to start "real school."

The picture above (and below) are from his first day in Mrs. Yamada's class.  I have to fact check, but apparently she was voted "Teacher of the Year" last year.  She is darling--with 5 years of experience and a ton of gentle molded into her personality.  She wowed me with her organization and the first two weeks have been impressive and smooth.

The first day, Zac touched her belly and asked when she was having her baby.  Good thing she is pregnant, or that could have been awkward.  (She is really pregnant.)  He was not very nervous at all, and took off his shoes, picked up a book, and sat on the rug to read quietly to himself until school started.  He gave me and Brady a hug, and we walked away.  I was fine until the walking away part.

Here's Zac pointing out his name on the door:
 ...and sitting on the story rug.
 Zac also earned his final reward for "Mommy Preschool."  Each day over the past few years, he's earned stickers that translate into rewards for sitting and doing preschool activities and songs with me.  It was a major way we worked through his speech therapy.  I'm a little sad that this phase of my life is over, but really, let's be honest.  It's a name change--now it is "Mommy Enforces Homework."
I'm so excited for him.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Give Zac a hug and kiss from Grandma. I love the pictures. What a sweet kid!