Sunday, July 27, 2008

From Sea to ATV

Hanakapiai Beach...my favorite scenic beach on Kauai. A short two mile hike on one of earth's most scenic trails and you're there. Plus there's a bit of spelunking.
We're in process of finding a good infant pack for hiking. Zac has grown out of his little carrier and it's time for something a little more rugged. For evaluation purposes we borrowed a Kelty pack from one of my co-workers--we were sold!
The beach day was as good as ever.

Karen challenged me to a race (imagine that) and for some reason I accepted. Take a close look at the picture--who do you think won?
I've hiked this trail probably five times and each time there's something I didn't see before.
Zac loved the Kelty pack. In fact he slept nearly the entire hike back. To cool off we went to Queen's bath. These kid's were crazy to be jumping off the ledge into such shallow water.
Our 7 year anniversary is Monday. To celebrate, we opted to substitute a fancy dinner for a Kipu Ranch ATV tour. It was fantastic--a must do for visitors. It was Karen's first time on a four-wheeler and I've got to tell you, she made that four-wheeler look good!
The tour began in Kipu Valley. Anyone recognize this movie backdrop? Let me give you a hint. An archeologist and two kids are running through this field amongst a herd of dinosaurs being chased by a Tyranosaurus Rex.

Here's your next try at movie trivia. Anyone recognize this river? Another hint. Harrison Ford launched out over this river swinging from a rope from this very tree. If your thinking "Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark" then you're good. It's possible that Harrison Ford looked slightly more graceful than Karen.

I have always wanted to see this area of the island, but few seldom get the chance. Kipu Kai is a beach that is only accessible by boat. All other access to this beach is on private land that is strictly guarded. As part of our tour (and the reason we chose this tour) we were able to ride to this view point. I realize this picture looks to have a fake backdrop, but that's just how cool this place is.
On our way back we ran into hoards of wild pigs. It is said that for every one resident on Kauai, there are three wild pigs. This little guy was little more squirmy than Zac. Our tour guide called this pig "microwavable"--haha!

We love this island. If you look really close you can see our house.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

My goodness...you guys have amazing pictures!!! And I think I'd take the ATVs over a fancy dinner too! Happy Anniversary!

Also...we have a kelty pack and have LOVED it!! We've used it with all three boys...and it has been awesome.

Oh yeah...feel free to link our blog. At some point I'll probably go private...but until then, I'm just being careful about what info I put out there.

cory said...

Wow, sign us up for the ATV ride during our next trip out there! What a great anniversary idea.

...sooo jealous of where you live. You two look like models in that picture with the "fake" background. Tan, ripped, sexy....sweaty. Ha ha ha.

Eric and Jill said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Brady and Karen! 7 years, really? Our 3-year is coming up and I can't believe it.

Your adventures are so cool; I'll never get bored hearing about you guys and all you do in Kauai! I (and I'm sure Eric too) want to come back so badly! One week was DEFINITELY not long enough!

Much LOVE!

Chrystapooh said...

If you want a pack that is much less bulky and easier to use, yet can easily handle a toddler, try a Soft Structured Carrier like an Ergo Carrier (made in Hawaii, I think), an AngelPack LX, or a Beco Butterfly (that one's slightly different, but same general idea). I have both an Ergo and a Beco. I think you saw the Ergo in use when we went to the monastery in Italy. I hiked up the mountain with Cannon on my front in it, and then Karl hiked down with 3 year old Hudson on his back in it. If you want some links for shopping/research purposes, just email me.

Your photos are gorgeous, Brady! Karl is looking at needing to move up to a D-SLR for his Pros program. What exactly do you have, and why did you choose that one? I'd love to get an email all about it...

Looks like you guys are having a blast with Hawaiian parenthood. So happy for you! :D

Chrysta

Karri said...

looks like so much fun....we totally wanted to go to the Queens bath but it was end of winter and way to wicked of waves to attempt it.

Melanie said...

Wow can I just say AMAZING!!! You live in a dream!! Like a permanant vacation place. I love reading your blog! Maybe some day we'll make it over there to see you before you move! :D

Jenni said...

Wow. The island is beautiful and you guys are definitely taking full advantage and making the most of it.

Suburban Monkey said...

7 years! Man you guys are veterans now. ATVin looked like a great way to celebrate!

Keri Hennefer said...

Man are you guys lucky! We really need to come and visit! Congrats on the anniversary! I can't believe it has been 7 years! Weren't we just at BYU? I loved the video of Zac eating bananas...so cute!