Sunday, June 08, 2008

Zac's First Campout

Our weekend started out with a bang--for this little puppy dog. Brady was driving down the street and saw this little guy tumbling out of a truck. He wasn't hurt, and the owner waited for Brady to bring him to the Humane Society.


We camped with another family at Hanalei this weekend. We were convinced Zac was old enough and a good enough sleeper to hack it.


I took this incredible picture. Kudos to me. (It is usually Brady who can credit himself with the photography.)

Oh yeah, this is me too.


But I do have to credit these two shots to Brady.


A county worker cut down some coconuts for us, and chopped them up so we could indulge in some coconut milk. It was quite bland, but a fun new experience.

The rest of the night, we listened to banjo players butcher songs (until 3am), until the late hour of 5am, when we got up to race the Ha'ena to Hanalei Run.

Dale (on the right) works with Brady, and made those medals to celebrate their introduction to running. This is one of only 2 pictures we took, even though we knew many people at the race. Oops!

Brady did great! He ran 6:49s for the 8 mile, hill-packed run. I didn't fare as well. I wanted to run a one-hour flat, but I was over by 15 seconds (and to make it worse, that was the difference between me and the girl in front of me...grrr). I also barfed after the second major hill. Embarrassing.

The overall winner ran it in 45 minutes, but we still think Kristen could take him. We both came home with small awards, and (most of) it was really fun. We are now getting ready for the Provo Half Marathon in August! We'll see if altitude really impacts performance...

5 comments:

Em said...

The picture of Zachary is adorable Karen! Nice work.

The race looked fun! And great times you guys! (please don't disregard that compliment because it's coming from someone who just barely averages 10 minute miles.)

Suburban Monkey said...

You guys are machines!! Way to be!

~~Heidi~~ said...

everyone did a great job! It was so fun to watch you all come across the finish line. It made me want to be running it myself! NEXT time!!!

Anonymous said...

i love how you admitted to barfing after the first hill. eric and i ran together last night, and i felt like barfing after a small climb and a dinner of scrambled eggs prior to that.

congrats on your race!

Ryan and Christina said...

Umm, I would say that's still a good pace Karen! Don't be so hard on yourself-I can't remember the last time I ran 8 miles! Go Brady-wow!!
Oh, and I especially love the pic of little man Zac with the surprised look on his face! So funny :) I vote for full time mommy-yea!
Miss you!