Sunday, March 23, 2008

Dole Pineapple Plantation


We decided to visit the plantation at the last minute. We only had about an hour, but it was worth it! For a few dollars each, we toured the beautiful gardens. We saw the yellow habiscus, and found out the reason it is our state flower is because it is found on every Hawaiian island. We also learned that pineapple, sugar, and coffee plantations are what created the racial diversity on our islands. Before the plantations opened, most of the island was made up of native Hawaiians. The plantation drew in labor force from Japan, the Phillipines, and many other nations.



It drizzled on us for the first half of the tour, but when the sun came out, it made for gorgeous pictures.

The only thing obviously missing from our tour was the pineapple palms! We think we had to take another tour to see those.


We didn't wait around long to ask about the pineapple trees after learning about a pineapple demonstration--complete with pineapple samples--that was going on inside. This nice lady taught us the correct way to cut a pineapple, and introduced us to a delicious flavor-enhancing spice called Li Hing Power. It is a slightly sweet, slightly salty taste that we were willing to purchase for our cupboards after tasting.

The best part (BY FAR) was eating fresh pineapple ice cream. Yum, yum, yum. We have a new favorite ice cream, but we only know of one place to get it!

8 comments:

Erica said...

Oh man, you guys! Had I known you were going to PCC I could have gotten all of you free tickets! I used to work there and all my friends are still there! Shoot!
Your pictures made me so homesick for Laie! I just have to keep thinking we will be there in a month.. I can't wait to show Jared the PCC and all the other fun stuff there! Next time you are in Laie, hit up the Hukilau Cafe for breakfast, its kind of by Hukilau Beach. They have THE best coconut pancakes!

Cameron and Katie said...

Even with all the cool stuff you posted about, my favorite part is still Zachary.

Maren said...

MMM, pineapple. I do have to say the best pineapple I have ever had was in Hawaii. Eat as much as you can!

Jenni said...

We went there! It rained when we were there too, about this time last year, May. Did you do the maze?

Eric said...

That pineapple and the pineapple ice cream was so delicious. I know for us the trip to the plantation was worth it just for those two things...mmmmm.

Ryan and Christina said...

Gosh, I haven't checked your blog-and there are so many additions. I love where you live!! Did your parents have fun? Looks like it :)
Miss you!!!

Ryan and Christina said...

Oh, by the way, you'll have to fill me in on the "correct way" to cut a pineapple.

Douglass Family said...

Your trip looked amazing! It is getting me hungry to book some flights for the fall. BRADY, you have to talk Adam into taking off work! :) Glad you had a great time!
Mandy