Sunday, August 20, 2006

Tri for Fun

After splurging on bikes, we decided to go for a sprint triathlon. We trained for 2 months, received some advice from pros like Aaron, and basically planned our weeks and weekends around bike rides, swims, and runs. Finally, Saturday morning came around and it was time to take a stab at this new sport. (Although Sat morning came around at 4:45 am, and that was definitely against my "nothing before 6 am" rule.)

Here we are just before the start of the race. There were about 1000 participants, which makes for a lot of bikes to hop around during transitions.

Our first experience with swim caps...strange. It's amazing how many girls look like men with these things on. (I may or may not be refering to myself--you decide.)


The first part of a triathlon is a swim. This is our weakest event, but one we have worked on religiously 2-3 times a week (in our tiny apartment pool). We both had nerves before the swim, considering that we have never tried out freestyle in a lake. In the end, we both felt we could have done better at this segment. I started way too far back, and kept veering off course. Brady drank enough of the lake water to stay hydrated throughout the race.

Here's a pic of the beautiful lake:

Here's a pic of what we actually experienced:

Seaweed grabbing the legs combined with murky green water doesn't add up to good dreams later on. I much preferred the bike and run, although I still want a road bike!

We made up some time on the bike/run portion. In the end, I decided that my next tri will be longer. I don't think I could have gone faster throughout the event, but I felt I could have gone longer (although a longer swim sounds terrible).

Here we are after the event. We were started in 7 different waves of people, so we ended up 15 minutes apart. Overall, we finished with almost the same time! It made me wish we had waited for the 7th heat (friends/family). It's a little sad that it's all over--especially the training. I'm looking for our next event...

11 comments:

cory said...

Karen, who is the lady behind you in the first picture? I hope she didn't beat you! You should send her that flattering picture.

Brady said...

You wouldn't believe how many cottage-cheese butts beat me...

Eric and Jill said...

Congrats on your hard work! Maybe next time you guys should eat lots of cottage cheese and your times will improve!

By the way, you look like a fine woman in your swimcap!

NW Varneys said...

Congrats! Someday when you guys move outta California and closer to us, we'll all have to do a triathlon. I agree. The next one I do will be longer. How did you like it compared to the marathon and/or 1/2 marathon.

Brady said...

Well, I hate marathons, and love half marathons. I thought it wasn't as physically challenging as a half marathon, and definitely more interesting and even a little more fun. As far as accomplishments, though, I have to chalk it up to half marathons.

Brady said...

Oh, and can you tell that Brady uploaded these pics? I'm not so high on myself that I like to constantly post my own pics...

I tried taking a bunch of pics of Brady, but he kept saying, "Wait a bit..."

cory said...

Karen is lying. She did post all of these pics of herself.

Signed,
Brady

Elder Bryson Ritchie said...

How fun! You guys look surprising good after the race. Kristen, I was going to comment on that same lady in the first picture. She is one of those people that may me think, "If she can do it, than I can!"

Natalie and Steve said...

You can't diss to badly on swim caps--I had to wear them for 5 years!

This looks like a lot of fun!

Scott and Natalie said...

This looks like a lot of fun guys (other than swimming in that algae infested water, biking for miles, and the running part). Other than that, I'm sure it was tons of fun!

I ran up my stairs once.

-Scott (definitely not Nats)

Anonymous said...

Good job, Karen and Brady. It looks like you've beaten all of my best triathalon times...ahem =)