Monday, February 19, 2024

Utah: Snow Bunnies, Hot GMa's, and Saying Goodbye to our Home away from Home

Snowbasin Resort, Day 1!  We rented gear the evening before and got to the mountain with plenty of daylight.  I had very low expectations for the day.  I figured with Owen and Kate, I might be able to leave them in the lodge for one run but otherwise it was the bunny hill for us all day.  We went down the bunny hill and those suspicions were confirmed.  There was no way we were going anywhere steep or fast or resembling a mountain.

Then along comes Blake. Kristen claims that teaching kids to ski is one of her favorite things, and she said multiple times that she planned to take Owen.  I assumed that would be for 15-30 minutes, and it would give me time with Kate.  Kate and I took another run down the bunny and then she felt confident to go up the mountain to the greens.  I was so excited for her and her ambition, and the first run down surpassed my expectations.  

We met up with the group and Blake, Walker, Kristen, and Elise were with Owen, who was skiing more confidently than I expected.


Seriously, such a boss.




We did more runs and he his confidence soared.  I asked Blake no less than 15 times that day if I could take him so he could ski, but Blake responded, "No way.  We are 'chothers'"--a nickname Owen gave Blake 5 years ago on their visit to Kaua'i.  "Each other's" shortened to "chothers,".......obviously.  Ha!

Pretty quickly, Owen stopped skiing pizza wedges and they even took him up to the top of the mountain on the gondola.  I was with Kate at that time, whose confidence was drifting as the snow became more icy!  
Owen fell about 150 times in the first few runs down the mountain.  I love that kids are not that concerned about falling.  My fear of falling holds me back and watching Owen improve so rapidly made me think that has something to do with it.
Cousin twins:
Clothers:
Kate and I took a breather in the lodge.  It was a good time to download and remember that how we ski does not need to be compared to little brothers!  Also, she is the cutest with her double braids and giant goggles.

Elise, Kristen and Kate went off together down some bunnies and greens and I went up to the top of the mountain with the boys.  WOW.  I cannot believe Owen is capable of the terms and steepness, and the controlled-ish speed while he followed Blake and Walker down the mountain.

Kristen said he deserves a slightly more masculine look next time.  I think the gear he borrowed is so cute.
But he does look exactly like Kate.

Owen was glued to Blake's side, including the drive home. 

Early evening, we joined Brady, Cory, and Zachary and took a stroll down to the lake and walked on ice.  With nothing to do at the resort for three injuries men, they spent the day driving to Logan to shop at Al's Sporting Goods and eat a fancy lunch.  They were such good sports to not show any signs of a pity party despite all three of them loving outdoor snow sports.

We were all a bit jumpy with the crackling, but saw others camping and ice fishing much further out.

My favorite picture of Zachary the whole trip:
The intricate designs of the lake and snow reminded me of Iceland.



Lake portraits:










We were all so worn out, but no one as much as Kate....I mean...ELISE!  Mom and Dad came up for the night and we played games and watched comedy sketches.  I made Indian Butter Chicken that was much too spicy for Mom but leftovers saved the day.



The next day, the boys and Grandma and Grandpa went to a museum while we went for ski day 2.  Thank you all for your positive attitudes!


I had a heart-to-heart with Kate the night before, asking if she really wanted to go ski again.  She had a pretty rough afternoon the day before, spooking herself out and having a generally miserable afternoon.  Her FOMO would not let her stay back.  She was determined to have a good attitude and give it her best on day 2.  I planned to play on greens with her all day, and was thrilled with our first two runs down greens without any issues.  Good work, love!
We met up with Milly and Emily Waltman, as well as Finn and Theo.  Milly was so patient and kind, happy to have time with Kate regardless of the pace.  

Emily then took Kate and gave her lessons while I went up the mountain with Owen, Kristen, Blake, Elise and Walker.  Turns out I was the weak link while Owen bulleted down with the group.  They all stood at the bottom and watched as I creeped down the really steep sections.  
We all met up at the lodge for lunch and $6 sodas with Mom and Dad Edwards and the whole group.  


I was completely oblivious to the nightmare experience for our gluten-free family and eating up our reunion time with Waltmans.

Blake's well-deserved shut eye between Owen's ski lessons.  I really did try to convince him to run off and do black diamonds, but by this point I had learned that he was in it for Owen.  He and Walker never left his side.  Such a sweet cousins experience.

I hope he never forgets.  I know I won't!



Emily got Kate down the gondola and steep blues TWICE!  I cannot believe the guts for both Emily and Kate to take it on.  Way to go, Kate Marian!  Thank you, Emily, for your kindness and patience to my girl.  So proud!
Owen did little jumps off the ramps.  What a boss.

Owen skied his heart out and slept all the way home.  "Mom, that was so, so fun but I'm pooped."

Meanwhile at the cabin...Mom and Dad worked on dinner while Cory and Brady worked and Zachary devoured a book.  It makes me so happy to see Zac reading.  He dives in and emerges hours later.

Kate stayed the night with Milly, which turned out to be a major anxiety-producing event despite her love for all things Waltman.  Separation anxiety is a real issue for her!  Sweet girl!  But she made it through and had a lovely morning until we arrived to pick her up at lunchtime.  I thought Otis was so sweet to come hang out with us and Owen claimed that Finn and Theo are tons of fun.

Before we left, Zachary wrote Grandma a note on the car:

That afternoon, we visited with Grandma and Grandpa Nufer.  Grandpa is fading more and more each visit.  He hasn't known me for years but he is still friendly and funny.  Grandpa is patient and attentive.  I will never forget my feisty, politically-charged Grandpa!

That evening, we went to Emily's house for dinner.  She was kind to do dinner early so we could get back and pack before our early flight.  I love this girl and her family.  I am so happy to realize how much closer we have become over the past decade and wish we had more sister time.  

We packed, which took very little time at all since flying Southwest permits checked bags/boxes.  Christmas went as checked bags and it was easy to fit everything else.  That evening, the kids played together for hours (really...after all the games and activities and time together, they kept playing!) while we sat around the kitchen table and had heart-to-heart conversation with Cory and Kristen.  
Watching my kids sleep, I kept feeling like Utah really is our home away from home.  I miss living by family and I want to be close to my kids as long as they will let me live close.  I think an ocean away sounds unbearably far.




Goodbye, Utah!

1 comment:

Elise said...

we miss you guys!! please come back. -elise