Friday, November 10, 2023

Kate and Mom Do Grand Canyon

 After Moab, Brady mentioned how fulfilling it was to take off on a quick adventure and encouraged me to do the same since airline tickets were so reasonable.  Since it was fall, the Grand Canyon instantly came to mind.  Within a few hours of the idea, we looked at tickets, got the A-ok from Shireen and family, got commitment from Kate that she was IN for a 20-mile hike in one day, and had it all purchased.  

Leading up to any trip, I constantly wonder if it is worth the hassle--the sub plans, the rides, the favors, the inconveniences for Brady, and just being away from normal routine which can already feel hectic.  The days leading up are more intense, with packing and plans and details flying through my head leading to little sleep.  I'm getting better but I still have a ways to go before I can declare myself someone who can "roll with it."  HA!

Based on my Whistler airplane experience (not yet posted because it's sitting in drafts and only has photos.......), I knew motion meds were necessary, so I took a Dramamine Less Drowsy.  I've never slept so hard on a red eye and for hours after landing, it felt like I was in the midst of a pre-migraine aura. So out-of-body!  We met up with Shireen, checked Sariah out of school, and got a tour of Shireen's parent's home--which had so many artistic exhibits it could have charged for museum entry.  So lovely!  I think all I managed between blinking back fog was, "Wow" and "cool."  Incidentally, those are the only two words I managed for the next 10 hours.


Landing in Phoenix, first Mama/Daughter shot of the trip:



We met the Olsen pups and explored their home.  It is obvious they pay attention to all the details.

Kate slept for maybe 2 hours on the flight and couldn't believe I was willing to sleep an hour when we got to the house.  She was ready for adventure and thankfully Sariah was happy to oblige.

She finally napped for 20 minutes with Henry.

After packing up, we left on the 4 hour drive to the Grand Canyon.  I felt like such a dummy taking the front seat for the ENTIRE trip, but these guys know me and my motion issues.  Look at Sam, boxed into the backseat cave!  We talked the way down but I was the worst conversationalist ever.  I couldn't recall any names, any connections, any articulate word choice whatsoever.  I was so exhausted but also started having doubts about my intellectual capacity.  I also remember almost nothing that was said that day, which feels terrible. I've taken enough red eyes to know this happens after red eyes in general, but also enough to know that Dramamine made it extreme.

Checking into the "Red Feather Lodge," the most ridiculous hotel name of all time.  Kate had so many anxieties about the next day ("What if it is too hard for me?" "What if they are upset because I am so slow?" "What if I am out of shape?" "What if I can't make it out of the canyon?") We talked and I listened to her breathe for about 5 minutes before we both decided snuggling in one bed was more fun for the night.
Ready, Set, Go!  4:45am came early.
We made the 6am shuttle along with 65 of our closest hiker buddies.
I love signs.
Our route: South Kaibob Trail to the bottom, in to Phantom Ranch, and up Bright Angels with a stop at Indian Garden.
I loved catching the sunrise over the canyon.  Definitely a first.


We packed loads of layers anticipating temperatures in the 40s but only had them on for 15 minutes.






The first nine miles were the hardest physically--so much pressure on knees as we made out way to the bottom of the canyon.



The red rock cliffs against the lush green and striated canyon walls in the background...plus my crew.







After a few hours, we made it to the first bridge crossing.  We were all starving and ready for lunch...at 9:30am.

That water doesn't look as satisfying as the ocean.
So many selfies.




Kate has the worst FOMO of anyone I've ever known, and I knew the minute the Olsens started talking about Phantom Ranch, there was no way she could be satisfied with the hike unless it was a pit stop.  We had heard they weren't getting supplies and the famous lemonade would not be available, but yay!  The reports were inaccurate.
Bottoms up!
I'm glad we did the extra mile--it gave us a perfect place to soak our feet in the brisk Colorado River and gave us views inside the canyon we would otherwise miss.  I'd love to camp down there next time.
Bridge #2.


We started the 11 miles of climbing.  So neat to see the trail below.  
Brett showing us archeological artifacts: a shoe and flint.  It was obvious where people lived with the smoke trails on the walls.  
One surprise for me along the trails was the multiple places for running water and the toilets. Both came in very handy, although I finished the hike with 2.5 L water still in my bag.
Indian Gardens:


Kate pointing out where she sees people clear at the top.  It was about this point (maybe 5 miles left?) when she got really confident, realizing she had plenty of stamina for this epic day.

With 3 miles to go, Brett and Shireen laid out charcuterie. We had all chowed on snacks two miles before but who can turn down such a fancy spread?

Swiss army knife purchased in Switzerland.
Sam was having a hard time at this point but he made it out!  Proud of him for pushing through such a tough hike in one day!






Powered up on cheese and crackers, Kate started running with three miles to go.  She'd jog for several minutes, then walk while we eagerly caught up (I wasn't about to run the ending).  She was energized and so excited, realizing that she felt amazing and had not just managed the hike, but had no trouble with it at all.  After all the nerves, it was a relief for her.  
We made it to the top with plenty of time to catch the sunset.  Love that we caught the sunrise and sunset over the canyon.
Stepping off the inclined trail and onto the road was such a strange feeling.  I no longer felt capable of normal movement.  I didn't realize my legs were so tired until the jelly feeling at the top.  On the other hand, Kate said, "I feel the same as after Tuesday pointe class." 


Sariah is a kind older sister/friend, offering advice to Kate about difficult relationships and school.

Shireen reminding us to take a piggyback photo was my favorite trip moment with her.
We stopped at the gift shop to collect souvenirs for Zac and Owen, then hit up pizza before our long drive home.  It looks posed but these three are asleep--Kate even drooled on the table.

I feel like I compensated for my glazed-over Dramamine presence on the way down with the drive back.  I had zero trouble staying awake chatting with Brett while the rest of the car snoozed and Shireen occasionally asked about Brett's (not at all) erratic driving.  Ha!  

Sunday morning, we woke up to a feast!  Fancy fruit over waffles--even chocolate waffles.  Yum.


Did someone say, "Waffles?"


We were all barely walking, except for Kate, who said, "I'm barely sore at all."  We took advantage of the Olsen spa, soaking and dipping back and forth between pool and hot tub to ease the muscle aches. 

After church, Shireen loaned us a car and we went to visit Eric, Rebecca and Janece.  They live about 30 minutes from the Olsens (but with road traffic, an hour back).  We saw their new house, talked about her newly announced pregnancy, and met their dog, Samson.


One aspect unique to our Arizona was the never-ending sunset.  Apparently, it is the due to the dryness and high-level storm systems.  

After seeing my siblings and sister-in-law, favorite part of the evening was accompanying Sariah on cello.  Playing with strings is my favorite.  A very close second was eating Indian Butter chicken with my favorite Indians.

 
The next day, Sam and Sariah took off school so we could all go shopping.  She was anxious to leave early, but based on meetings and school work, I let her know it would be a while before we could take off.  She asked to run with me.  (Do you hear me squealing in delight?)  She ran 3 miles before heading back to the house.  She made me take her all the way to the door, terrified of snakes.  Ha!

As much as my girl is a nature queen, she loves to shop.  She scored with good buys for hours.


If this is not called a stalagmite cactus, it should be:

Kate looked up things to do around the house and of course located a Dave and Busters.  It was so sweet that Sariah joined.  She made everything more fun.  Sariah is gifted at making people feel loved and wanted.  It's an Olsen trait.





The trip ended all too soon, but we all needed to get back to work.  Another run, another cactus, followed by an uneventful flight home.

The first day of the trip, I wondered if it was all worth it but flying home with my girl, I knew I'd remember our trip for ages.  Love this adventurer I'm lucky enough to call my daughter.  




1 comment:

Elise Edwards said...

this is adorable- i love you guys! such a cool adventure!