Thursday, November 17, 2022

Fall Sports: T-ball, Ballet, Cross Country; Activities, Firsts

The last 6 weeks had me at t-ball three games a week, cheering on this darling squad.  Owen went out of his way to help 4-year-old Noah and I was so grateful for his generous, kind, patient heart.  I also loved the coaches for praising his kindness and helping me realize that sports is about more than sprinting to first base, scoring the run, or making an out.  Owen's coach, Dave, gave out "hot dog of the day" to one kid each practice and usually highlighted a kid who had the most hustle or sportsmanship.  That's what it is all about.

A rare Friday at the beach, skipping soccer practice for once.  Owen and Kate both trained with their Keahi team (Owen three days a week before t-ball season began and Kate on her only practice day off of dance).  They did not love training without the reward of game time.  Sunday games still go strong in the fall and we are still not interested in converting our family and spiritual day to a sports day.

Speaking of sports: I give myself exactly 10 minutes between workouts and the time it takes me to start up my zoom class, which sometimes means my top half looks presentable and I'm still dressed to kickbox from the waist down.

Piano performance is no sport but certainly an activity.  The kids were asked to dress up in the theme of one of their songs.  Kate chose sparkles to go with "Fantastic" and Owen chose a feather-in-his-cap for "Yankee Doodle."

Roxy loves all the dogs and kids at t-ball games.
I hit 400 rides on my Peloton.  Hooray!
We snuck in another beach evening.  We were lucky and had a few fall/early winter swells come through.  I squeezed in a few surfs with Robert, Nic, and Hilary.

After an Aunty brought donuts and ice cream bars for after-game snack, the team mom sent out an awkward thread letting everyone know the acceptable snack options: protein, fruit, vegetables, and a small carbohydrate.  I was the next one up on snack list and my palms were sweating making sure I hit all the marks and didn't end up the reason she wrote another scathing comment. 

The kids were definitely more stoked about her snacks than mine.  Ha!



Final race of the season!  This was the qualifier for state and Zac needed to be in the top 15.  He did not run his best race position-wise or time, but he worked hard and we were so proud to cheer on his efforts.  Thanks for putting your mind and body out on these courses, Zac!  

Brady and I both volunteered.  A lady came up to us afterwards and was teary saying no one every cheers for her son but we were both encouraging him.  Sometimes I think my kids get embarrassed with my excitement and cheering but I decided a couple years that my personality isn't going to change so my pep and enthusiasm are going with me everywhere.  Cross country is in my bones and cheering for these races was a highlight of each week.

Post-race potluck:
Zachary with his elementary school friend, Logan.  
Kate's dance schedule is filled to the brim: 4 classes a week plus hours of rehearsal every Saturday.  She is currently begging for more starting in January.  I think I'm getting better at the "Dance Mom" role but apparently my buns are still dreadful and have to be redone every other class.

At least I can take good pictures of my graceful girl:


Kate is the understudy for Shay in her doll role this year:
Kate also ran and placed 2nd of all middle schoolers in the Run Club sponsored XC Middle School Invitational.  She cheered on Kaua's top female runner, Emma, the next day.
Zachary started attending school events solo.  He went to a big volleyball game: Island School v. Kaua'i High, and was so happy to hang with Jojo and David.  These boys have changed so much since Kindergarten and their emerging facial hair and deepening voices are throwing me off!  While Zac specializes in soccer, David is passionate about basketball and Jojo is a football player.  I would be lying to say I don't wish they all attended Kaua'i High together.
Rox got a little wet at practice.
First mammogram!  Does that count as a Fall Activity?
All these games plus the start of early morning Sunshine Run Club that I help with at the school every week tuckers this kid right out.  Owen very often gets over a mile and a half run at the club and we have a smooth system scanning each child's bar code as they do each lap.  We are a full 5 weeks in and still have between 40 and 50 kids showing up early to run.  Apparently kids love running until they get older.

We don't get Kate to the beach with as frequently with the many hours of Saturday rehearsals but when she comes, she always finds friends.

Kate convinced me to let her skip school and join in Penelope's birthday celebration at Rock Quarry.  Kalaheo had a waiver day but CKMS did not, but I decided to let it go.  The girls build shelters, played on rope swings, swam, and surfed.  This is not a bad place to grow up.
Another t-ball photo of Owen and Kelly.  These two have been close for over a year, but t-ball made them even closer.

First fall dance for Zac, too, and another first as well...  He willingly dressed up in a button down shirt and nice pants!



No comments: