Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Dog Mountain

Aaron and Julie were gracious enough to pick us up from the Portland airport at 10:30pm, find us Wendy's salads, and talk excitedly about our plans.  The morning of our flight, I was panicked.  My SI joint started hurting again after years of nothing painful, and as we packed and prepared for the trip, I was in so much pain that walking to the laundry room was a struggle.  I wondered how much was psychosomatic, but also knew that this joint has caused me 8 months of pain at a time in the past.  I did not know how I could possibly put a pack on my back and backpack over 30 miles.  I let them know what was happening via text and we were all aware that our plans might need to change.  

The next morning, I woke up feeling quite a bit better after plenty of ibuprofen and ice/heat intervals the night before.  We decided to go for our planned hike to Dog Mountain, which claimed to have stunning wildflowers and a gorgeous view of the Columbia River Gorge in spring.  It gained 3,000 feet elevation over 3 miles, so I knew my joint would either warm up and do okay or I would know within a mile that it wasn't something I could handle.

On the way there, we got cozy with Cassie, their puppy, who matched Brady's beard perfectly.  She jumped right up in his lap for the drive.



I love signs.


2/3 to the summit, the views emerged, and gasped and cheered seeing our first glimpses.  The views improved as the river came into view.



The Balsamroot were out in droves.  Apparently the wildflowers and gorge views attract so many hikers that a permit is now required on weekends.  Also required: a parking pass.  Wifi was out of range so the paying online option did not work, but they collected enough coins to make $5.  I did not think that was possible and went around the parking lot begging for money.  I was successful and also found a girl who was locked out of her Tesla because it opened via Wifi.  #funnymodernproblems

This was a very dog-friendly trail.  Washington is for dog lovers. Most dogs are not even leashed but well-behaved.  Cassie is not quite there but will be soon.  She is also very strong.





Aaron tried to see us all weekend on his special hat.  "It can be anything!  A beanie, a sweat band, a face mask, a ski mask."  He was kind enough to loan it to me as I shivered around the cliff corners and hit the patches of aggressive wind.
Lupine!




Indian paintbrush:

I come to the Pacific Northwest and I'm convinced I could be so happy here.  
Caroline, Cassie and Aaron:
Remembering the photo of Brady and Coleman in the Yellowstone wildflowers, I insisted on an Aaron and Brady shot.
REI shot.  #alaskamemories





My SI warmed up in the first mile but I was certainly gimpy and hunched for the duration.  Mostly, I felt relief that it did not seem to get worse at all with the climb.

I love to make fun of Brady for his dad pose while cat napping, but it is a whole better than my head back, wide-open-mouth when I sleep in the car.
We picked up Chipotle on the way home and spent the evening with the Millers loading up our giant backpacks.  Actually, Aaron had the giant backpack and the rest of us only felt like we were hauling a load.  On the trail the next day, we learned why.  He had s'mores fixings, candy bars, huge bags of dried fruit, camping chairs, a bear canister, and a few dolls.  No, not the dolls but his pack was big enough I would have believed it.  While Aaron continued to load up his pack, Brady continued to unload ours--less and less food every time I looked.  Brady and I debated loudly about how much food we need when we're on the trail.  I have a fear of hunger based on real events at Kalalau when a cat stole our food and we barely had enough food to stay alive...or that's how it felt to me.  I kept loading more bagels and he mockingly removed them and finally told me I could take as much food as I wanted...in my own bag.  I had a lot of food and I happily packed it.  We intermittently sipped Julie's Passion herbal tea in Washington mugs and whispered animatedly until it was time to slip into bed and try to sleep a few hours before our great adventure.

Time for wilderness!

No comments: