Sunday, October 17, 2021

California, Day 2: Universal

Friday morning came so early after a late night lying wide awake.  Time differences are brutal!  The kids bursted out of bed, excited again to go collect their "walk-through" breakfast and head to Universal Studios.  



We decided to go to the lower segment of the park, and hurried through the entrance.  I was railed hard-core by an acting couple, who made jokes about me winning races with my stroller, and escaping from my kids.  They were so funny and we decided that was the perfect job for Nic.

First up: Jurassic Park ride--our first time ever.  Owen bravely opted to come, and we rode it all together twice.  It did not disappoint!

The people in front got SOAKED.


Nic and Heidi bought glittery fanny packs for the boys, complete with anti-chafing cream, sanitizer, first aid supplies, and walkie talkies.  The boys wore them with pride.

Next up, Transformers!  Owen loved this ride the most.





Mummy was my favorite.



Kate made it through Harry Potter 6 before going to Harry Potter Land!  She was so excited to explore and if I could go back in time, I would have split off from the anxious group (rides, rides, rides was the one and only focus), and enjoyed the ambiance of Harry Potter Land with her longer.  We did go back a second time later in the day and watched the wand selection at Ollivander's.



Butterbeer!  



I borrowed sunscreen from Nic and Heidi and went a little overboard.  Ahhh!
Lunch at the Hogsmeade was my favorite meal of the trip.  I loved the decor (and my chicken).

The Flight of the Hippogriff ride was so cute and Owen rode it with me after lunch three times.  He missed out on the height requirement for the main ride, so we made it up to him.




Owen had several comments about wearing a Mickey sweatshirt in Universal.

Universal Studios Tour had a 20 minute delay on the bus thanks to a construction truck running out of gas...ha!  The tour was worth it even with the long wait.


Secret Life of Pets was adorable and I had to snap shots of downward dog for me and the spa for Kate.



We convinced Owen to buy a chocolate frog instead of a $60 wand as his souvenir and he couldn't be happier about it.


I stopped at the candy shop outside the park.  Brady was stunned at my candy collection.  Zachary added to it by accidentally purchasing $21 worth (and Nic's candy is pictured below, too).  He thought the bag markers were indicative of the poundage and ended up with four times more cost than he anticipated.  Like mother, like son.


That night, we managed to get a reservation for all of us at "Cho Changs" according to Kate (Harry Potter on the brain!  P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps, hot and sour soup, orange chicken, thai noodles, all of it was so delicious!  We walked home and took in all the spectacle of clubbers, outdoor malls, and so many lights.


No comments: