Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Polihale New Year 2020


I rant and rave about Polihale and I feel the same about it now, even after a camping trip that involved water too big for kids or any surfing, the worst driving conditions on the dirt road we have ever encountered, and no running water which meant 3 out of 5 of us pooped in the woods.  I love this place.

The wind was blazing against our house on Friday morning, and we assumed Polihale was out for our yearly New Years' camping trip.  Nic and Matt took their motorcycles and scoped out the conditions, coming back with the report that camping was a GO!  When Owen heard the news, he jumped up and down squealing, "CAMPING!  CAMPING!  CAMPING!"  He spent the previous two days more excited to camp than he was for Christmas, and was so worried we would not end up going.  So funny to me that he loves beach camping so much but does not generally love the beach.  
As we set up our tents, he exclaimed, "I can't wait to sleep in our tunnel!"


New Year's Tradition: burning the tree.  I will not be burning a tree next year because I absolutely HATE live trees now.  The constantly falling pine needles made me crazy and I'm ready for plastic.

We had the best camping dinner of all time.  I brought an enormous pot of Japanese curry and brown rice, others brought chili to put on roasted dogs, someone brought Mediterranean pasta, and finally we had fresh french bread with beef stew.  What is impressive is that we all made it down the 5-mile dirt road with all those hot dishes.  It was an incredible ab workout keeping my body flexed the entire time on the glass lid to my crock pot.  Worth it!

We had a jumpy moment wondering where Owen went in the darkness.  Polihale has a double threat--water and fire--and not knowing where he was for about two minutes freaked me out.  He went crabbing with the older kids.  I know he would never venture into the ocean but with the powerful, vogue waves that come through, I worried something could have happened.  Thank heavens nothing did.

Around 10pm, he begged to go sleep with  me in the tunnel, and spent a fitful night kicking me in the face and rolling all over me (combined with our broken tent slapping me across the face throughout, as well).  Camping!  

Of course no matter how much we sleep, everyone is up by 6am!




Our compound.  Nic/Heidi Clarks, Kat/Michael Clarks, Stebbins, Callie and her daughters, Edwards, Murrays, Ellis' family, and Murray friends.



I love that no safe water doesn't stop the kids from entertaining themselves.  They created jump ropes from massive vines.  Zac got a record "17 girlfriends" from his turn.  We also made Jet Boil hot cocoa, shared breakfast food, threw footballs, and played hide and seek.




Rainbows and whales all morning.


I walked down the coast to try the "gentler" waves by the cliffs and lasted 10 minutes before deciding I did not want to get beat up anymore.  A tourist took this picture and then came to the compound to text it to Brady.  I was oblivious to the seal.  Now, he is making me feel really good about myself.
The biggest attraction of the day: sand dunes!



I love that I made it into the bottom of this picture.  We might be canvasing this one.  I wish it was more obvious just how high he is in the air.




Friday morning (pre-camping), Owen told us he was not going to take his pull-up off.  "I'm going to wait to pee in the sand!"  We told him we would not be there until late afternoon and sooner or later, he'd need to pee in the toilet.  Saturday morning, his first pee was in the sand. BEST PICTURE OF THE DAY.



Darling little shadow below:




Mele Kalikimaka!  Goodbye trees until next year.
We followed the Stebbins and Clarks to Kekaha, hoping for better waves.  They were perfect for all of us to play in the water together (minus Owen, but maybe that will change by the end of 2020...?).  Zac and I raced to get the best "barrel" and Brady rode waves with all the kids, too.  We dragged the kids out of the water in time to get home for Zachary's futsal game.  He is so good about not complaining--after being up most of the night and playing all day, he still played his heart out at futsal, scoring 4 and making quite a few assists, too.  

Mahjinka at Kekaha, making fun of all of us as we struggled through a sand pit at the shoreline.
More noon pictures with indistinguishable people.  I took probably 30 pictures and Brady laughed at (with) me for the failed effort.


No comments: