Thursday, September 05, 2019

VEM Comes to Kauai, 10 Years Later

VEM reunites in Kauai!  When they mentioned it had been a decade since their last visit, I found that impossible to believe.  We've been lucky to have these friends who are committed to seeing each other through the years, and I will never forget the extra effort they have each applied to get us a cabin for the group in Colorado, visit us in Kauai, and do Rainer and Mt. Saint Helens together.  We have supported each other through dreadful half marathon disasters in Moab, excellent seasons for the Cougars, poor seasons for the Cougars; through Zac's adoption and blessing; through moves and job loss, infertility, and babies. The Varneys kept our dog when we could not longer provide her a home.  This is a set of friendships that I look back at and feel so intensely grateful for--we are so different and so similar but we can laugh about it and accept each other.

They arrived in the evening on Friday, arms full of gifts--treats for our kids, Seattles best chocolates, and a hilarious book of signs for me.  I love funny signs and I honestly forgot about that until they gave the book to me (with "CAUTION: DO NOT DRINK WATER, FISH CRAP IN IT" and "Warning: Please look under your vehicles for penguins").  

The next day, Aaron and I took off for early surfing.  It turns out that I am not capable of pushing an adult and therefore unable to call myself a surf instructor in any way.  It is still so gorgeous to be in the water when no one else is and take in the early hours of the morning.  After we came back, we kept it local and played at the beach all day long--first to Brenneckes for epic waves together (on an EMPTY beach!), and then to Sheratons to float around in the deep water.  We closed out the night with fish tacos and hula pie at Keokis.




I loved watching them connect with the kids--Aaron and Coleman both took turns messing around with him while he played piano.


Sunday, we went to church together and they went with Brady to a short hike in Waimea Canyon.  It is an unofficial trail and I have never actually done it, always nervous about taking kids on anything slightly questionable.  I did feel like a good friend/spouse, taking all my kids to stake choir practice in Lihue for several hours so Brady could join them.



It was my turn to play on Tuesday, when we explored Ho'opi'i falls--along with at least 50 other people.  I have never seen this many people here, and it must be considered a must-see attraction these days instead of a hidden gem.  Despite the masses and tour groups, we snuck in plenty of fun.  I had a nasty lip virus and worried about fresh water bacteria, so I watched as they jumped into the falls.  Julie took Owen swimming with her, too, making his day.





That night, they put together a meal of fresh, grilled opah, homemade coleslaw, and a tomato and cheese salad.  It was hard to beat, even with our night out.  We enjoyed a triple date the next evening, heading to Eating House 1849 for blackened ahi, shrimp pasta, fried chicken, hot pot bowls, and Coleman's whole fried snapper.  Brady took them to the Hyatt for moonlit backdrops on make out pictures afterwards.















Thursday morning finally arrived, and we were off to Kalalau.  When the VEM family came the first time, they committed to backpacking Kalalau next time they made the trip.  Easier said than done!  Kalalau was closed down for almost two years after the disastrous north shore flooding.  It barely reopened in time for their trip, but permits were nearly impossible to obtain.  We finally figured out the system but also realized that in order to attempt permits, Brady and I would be unavailable because we were off the grid in Glacier.  Aaron and Julie saved us all by getting up at 3am two nights in a row and scoring for the group!


The morning of, I put on my now-favorite hiking shirt from Shireen.  We hired Jackson to drive us all up to the trailhead and everyone learned just how animated I am with early morning caffeination.

(I have a closed-lip smile because my mouth hurt TERRIBLY from the sore on my lip.)


First views at the 0.5 mile.  We were already sweating profusely--it was excessively hot and humid.


My spouse-confusion photo.  I swear he told us all to lean in and that's what I did.
Hanakapai Beach at mile 2:
Aaron, Julie and I took off at mile 6 to catch the mist and swim of Hanakoa Falls.  It was magical and refreshing to cool off in such a secluded spot.
Onward bound!
The notorious "Crawler's Ledge"--Brady, Roni, and Coleman worked through it before we caught up.



Finally, Kalalu!


We set up camp and immediately took off for a swim to clear out the sweat.  We worried the waves looked big but luckily there was no current.  Kalalau beach itself was the most vacant we have ever seen it despite the group of people illegally camping.  It felt like we had it to ourselves.


Sunset #1: a perfect end to the night, swimming as the sun dropped below the horizon, and then rinsing off at the waterfall.  We then enjoyed the best tasting dehydrated food in the world and settled in for a (too) warm night.  



Campground #1.
The next morning, Brady woke up at 6am and ran into Mark Zuckerberg.  I woke up at 8am and didn't feel bad about missing it.  We hopped out of bed and charged over to claim a beach front camping spot as backpackers left.  

Roni and Coleman decided to relax while we explored the valley.  We put in 10 miles throughout hippie farms, finding papaya, guava, strawberry guava, and lilikoi.  We trekked up a trail that supposedly led to a waterfall but the trail was gone so we turned around after the 15th cut on our legs.  We jumped off a rope swing at Big Falls, the boys went down the falls on a floatie, and we cliff jumped a whopping 12 feet.  Lovely, lovely.



Brady working hard on a papaya:
Let me show you how to eat a papaya with nothing but your hands.
Julie loves big leaves.
My favorite part of the exploration was jumping in the stream looking over Kalalau beach.  It is my favorite spot in the valley and still the beauty surprises me every time I see it.







We got back to the camp with the best note ever: "VEM: At lake in Sea Cave.  Come on!"





Sunset and backlit photos, round 2.

Coleman and Roni:
Aaron and Julie:
Us:

Brady found a lilikoi blossom by our tent:

We enjoyed the rest of our fruit and watched shooting stars on our rain flies.  It was epic and made up for another overly warm evening.
We took off early the next morning and mercifully, the temperatures and cloud cover worked in our favor.  It was still hot but much less stagnant.  Coleman didn't make this photo because he did not want to stop--he was on a mission to get back to Ke'e Beach.

We made it back with an hour and a half to spare before meeting our ride.  We swam at Ke'e, took showers, rinsed clothes, and then almost died of gratitude when Jackson showed up with cold Dr. Peppers and Gatorade.  We picked up burgers (fish for me) from Duke's and they were the most delicious thing I'd eaten in weeks.

I was stunned to see Zachary pop out of Heidi's house missing 7 inches!  He warned me he might be ready for a change but I was shocked!  It looks so good.  I will definitely miss his long locks, though.


The kids were happy to be home, although loved the stay with the Clarks--ice cream, Polihale, and pool time!  

The trip came to an end but not before we reminisced with pictures and stories.  Next time, one of the couples will have a real bed to sleep on rather than an inflatable.  Next time, we will not choose August to backpack!  But next time, we will surely have just as much connection and fun as we always manage together.  Love these VEM friends.

1 comment:

Natalie and Steve said...

It's official. I want to do that hike. And yes, you're shirt is perfect!