Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Shine!

I love the chaos of May.  May is like December without the presents--except for me, because I get lots of presents in May.  It's the payload with performances, awards, etc.  First up was piano guild, one day after we arrived home.  The kids performed 10 memorized pieces for a judge, and both came out with high marks of achievement.  I loved listening through the door and seeing the pride in Ms. Lois' face as she talked about them.  I never did anything like that in all my years of music, and I'm impressed that they handle their nerves so well.  Going in alone in front of a judge they have never met seems intimidating but they were prepared.  Of all they participated in for the year--soccer, dance, futsal, surfing, everything--this was the most satisfying and rewarding experience for me as a parent.

The week of futsal also lined up as the week of two dance rehearsals and a piano rehearsal.  Kate was finally on stage to perform "Bills" with her jazz group.  She lit up the stage, had flawless rhythm, and was the clear leader.
Next year, she will be performing with the older girls.

JOY!


At their recital the next day, Zachary started "Chased to the Edge" at lightening speed.  I worried for him the entire time but he zoomed through perfectly.  In the car, he said, "Oh, Mom!  I did NOT mean to start that fast and I was sweating the whole time!" He was a little disappointed in his other selection.  Even though he loves to play "Imperial March," he said he likes to play his songs lately that are "up and down the piano."   His favorites are musically interesting and I love seeing the sensitivity and development of his playing.

Kate has progressed so much this year and plays so confidently.  It's hard to believe this is the same girl who had juicy tears before last year's talent show.  She aches to play and show off, and can't wait to be at a point where it is easy for her to find pop culture songs that she can play.  Like what?  "Anything by Dove Cameron."
Today, she was singing in the shower with Owen, inflecting her voice, adding vibrato, and really investing her soul.  When she got out, she told me, "I'm pretty sure that I will be a beautiful singer when I'm older."

Ms. Lois was teasing Zachary about putting her arm around him, and next thing you know, it's impossible for him to stand up straight for fear of a hug.
 May Day was the last major performance, with both kids performing hulas and several Hawaiian chants.  Kate missed May Day last year because we were at Mindy's wedding, and was so excited to participate this year.

I now know how to make a Ti Leaf lei.

 With two front teeth missing, her tongue pokes out in almost every picture.




 Zachary told us that he had to take his shirt off for the performance.  "My chest is SO WHITE!" he exclaimed.  "The sun reflects off of my skin like a mirror!"  He was definitely easy to spot.


 Mr. Pau told the class that he'd never seen a haole shake his hips as well as Zachary.  Ha!  He was equal parts proud and embarrassed.


 My favorite part of the hula was the end, when he bent his knee and landed in a shaka along with all the other boys in his class.

Zachary also had several mathematics awards, including a high honor of the most objectives completed.  He wants to be an engineer so he can design a magnetic roof and walk around on a ceiling with magnetic boots on.  

Kate read the most minutes of anyone in her class this year.  Well done, love!  

I love May, but you know what I love more?  SUMMERTIME!

1 comment:

Natalie and Steve said...

Will your kids teach me to hula when I come?!