Sunday, January 15, 2017

Kauai Christmas 2016

Christmas Eve means time to catch Santa paddling to Kauai.  This year, we checked him out in Poipu, watching them ride a wave in to see the masses gathered at baby beach.
Zachary let Kate know that this "wasn't the real Santa--just a helper," but that didn't stop him from being the first to greet him.
This was our kids' only encounter with Santa this year.  This is our only picture of that encounter.  Ha!  Not exactly your professional mall shot.

Here's Owen, thinking hard about pulling on that furry, white beard.
It poured rain and ended our beach outing early, but that left us plenty of time to prep for our Christmas Eve dinner.  We had our traditional lasagne and some beautiful salads, and enjoyed the dinner with the VandenAkkers, Clarks, and Sorensens.






The families were good sports and we all put on a last minute version of the nativity.
Kate and her huge belly had me in stitches.



I thought it was cute that Zachary wanted to be Joseph next to Mary.




This is the most prepared we've ever been to have Santa come to our house.  I think we were all done by midnight.
And he came!  We got these shots before the kids came downstairs.  This year, Santa's theme was wheels and water.



The kids woke up at 6:30am and were ready to cruise.
I'm trying not to make this post only about Zachary, but he is so fun to watch with gifts.  His sincere excitement is infectious.

Zachary's biggest wish was a bell off Santa's sleigh.  He was really uncertain if Santa would give him one, and couldn't believe it when he heard the ring coming from his stocking.  He's asked me three or four times since then, "Can you believe he did it?  He gave me such a precious thing?"

Santa also got him a skimboard.  Zachary was quick to remind me that this gift should have come from me, since I lost his last one.
Kate was so cute, opening her presents to accompany an American Girl doll.


Owen didn't care about anything but the wrapping paper.



He likes this Scoot-and-Ride, but has not mastered getting off without bonking his head.
Next up, Christmas breakfast burritos right before 9am church.
Kate put doll food on our plates to go with the burritos.

We loved church on Christmas Day.  I was initially bummed because my favorite thing to do here is surf on Christmas, but it was so refreshing to attend services.  Elder Ucktdorf was there, too, and even made some comments about a "Joy to the World" arrangement I played.  I think I scared him with my opening chords.  Ha!  My claim to fame...

Home to open gifts!


Kate gets her "Truly Me" doll.  She was especially excited with their matching hair.

Zac was even excited about a swimsuit.  He hates clothing gifts usually.
Grandma and Grandpa Nufer got her matching outfits, and Grandma and Grandpa Edwards gave her a doll bunkbed.
More fabulous expressions:

We had the perfect amount of time to clean up, get a little organized, and then leave for our flight that night.  Several people told us we would hate leaving for the mainland on Christmas, but it was perfect.  We had the big morning at our house and saw family the very next day.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun update! I love the pictures of excited kids...And parents!

Kristen Nufer said...

Cute! Christmas is so fun! You're baby is getting so big!