Monday, October 03, 2016

September Ends

Soccer is in full swing, and our Saturdays are spent running around the island to games.  I constantly wonder how families with several kids in sports do it.  I guess it's a divide-and-conquer.  So far, we've been able to see both kids' games every week but one.


 Kate continues to improve every week.  I haven't seen her score yet, but she had a goal in one game and then 7 goals the next week.  Whoo-hoo, my fierce little girl!


 I feel like Baby Owen is the least photographed of the three kids.  He hit the 9-month mark on September 29th.  He's jumped to the 22% for height and weight, which is no surprise to me because he loves to eat almost everything we put in front of him.  His favorites are sweet potatoes (real and pureed) and bananas.  He has a perfect head with a couple long hairs.  It's so soft and I rub my cheeks on it all day long.  He's cuddly and loves to burrow his head in my neck.  He drools continuously but hasn't cut a tooth.

Baby O loves his binkies.  He loves having the kids around.  He's crawling now, and over a two-week span went from barely....moving...to all over the house in five seconds.  We suddenly realized it's time for stair guards and lego removal.  He crawls "normal" on his left leg and but keeps his right knee off the ground.  It looks like a big hitch in his giddy-up, but Brady tells me I was concerned about Zac's "strange crawling," too.  Own seems more content with his new-found freedom, although he's also had some scares.  The other day he accidentally turned on the iRobot vacuum during his wanderings.  He screamed bloody murder and he's avoided that section of the den ever since.  His favorite hangout is under the piano bench while the kids practice.
 He takes more consistent naps now and is definitely happier for it.  He babbles "Dadadadadada" constantly.  When he gets tired, he bangs his head on the floor.  It's a little pitiful.  He hates being in his carseat, and I am nervous about the new recommendations to not turn baby around until they are 2.

 Marisa is his babysitter once a week while I surf.  Hiring a sitter to surf sounds a little extravagant but it's much easier than trying to surf around Brady's schedule and I get the added bonus of surfing with friends instead of going alone.




 Every once in a while, the kids get into a play dough kick.  This one was notable for the Harry Potter creatures that emerged.  Harry is the white one, holding his want, with his broom and snitch in front.
Zachary finished the 7th Harry Potter.  He asked me if I could find him a series that is "just as cool" as HP.  Uh-oh.
Halloween costume sneak-peak.  Those glasses are on him 80% of the time he's home.
The kids think Baby Harry is the funniest thing ever.



 Owen hangs out in the sunshine and rain with me for soccer practices four nights a week.
Zachary started Cub Scouts last month.  We delayed starting him in it with our mixed feelings about the benefits of the program vs. the options available for girls.  Since deciding to try it out, we've seen his enthusiasm and it's made us more committed.  While he is at scouts each week, Kate and I have gone off on a mini-adventure: snorkeling, pool, walks, bike rides, etc.  We still aren't sure how we will make it up to Kate but we'll continue to brainstorm and make moments with her.  (Zac was trying to run off in this picture, which is why I'm awkwardly grabbing his shirt.)

 Pictures from one Tuesday night snorkel session:

I love these rainbow shower trees in our neighborhood.  I don't love how reclined the Bob stroller sits.
 This is proof that we are forcing O to love binkeys because of the thumb-threat.  We have ultrasound pics of him sucking his thumb and catch him trying to cozy up to it occasionally.  You can't take a thumb away....
 Crossfit hosted a huge race on our little island a few weeks ago.  I hate races with made-up obstacles like mud banks, walls, and sandbags, and it was $100, so I didn't participate.  Then I saw everyone's pictures and felt a little sorry for myself.  I went on a trail run that night.



The kids are so invested in piano right now.  They compete over who's turn it is to practice and mess around.  Their teacher is bigger on memorization than I was as a student or teacher.  I love it because they have a repertoire of songs to choose from when they see random pianos.

Two weeks ago, Kate had a Saturday afternoon birthday party.  I took Owen so Brady could take Zachary on a hike to the bottom of Wailua Falls--something we've never done.  It's not an established trail, so going with a baby was out of the question.  These falls are 80'.  A few weeks ago, a tourist jumped off the falls and it was caught on video by other tourists down below.  The jumper was knocked unconscious.  The guy catching it on film (who had no association with the jumper but saw that he was about to leap, so grabbed his phone) saw that he was out and rushed in to rescue him.  The paramedics were called in and the jumper survived, stating that "YOLO" and absolutely, he would do it again.  
If he had jumped on a day like this, no one would have the option to save him.  It was thunderous with massive amounts of water.








Work is hectic for Brady.  One particularly heated disagreement demanded the attention of Dave Layton, who flew out on his private jet to sit down with the owner of the project on Big Island.  The guys on the project all island-hopped with him in this extravagant thing.  We will all be glad when this job is over.


Last weekend, I lived a dream and went surfing on Oahu for two straight days.  To prepare for this little event, I pumped enough milk to stock a dairy.  I hope I never have to pump again.  I love having a baby, but it was pretty awesome to have a little breather when no one was dependent on me and I didn't have a deadline to get out of the water.

I went with my friends Jenny and Hilary.  We started at Waikiki after reading the surf report was 4-5' waves.  It was awesome and the best surfing of the weekend.  That afternoon/evening, we went to Oahu's north shore and tried out Turtle Bay.  It was a short session but we got to see the sunset.  We went to the last temple session that night.  Our only hiccups that day were dealing with a migraine (me), and dealing with a malfunctioning car.

The next day, we started out early at Turtle Bay.  It was a zoo, but we caught plenty of fun waves.  On the way back to Waikiki, we jumped off Waimea rock.  I hate jumping off rocks.  I used to love it.  I'm not sure what happened to me but looking down off high places and then leaping off is not fun at all.  I'm a sucker for peer pressure (when I'm sure it is safe), and I guess I'm glad I did it.
Waikiki surf was smaller on day 2 but we closed out the weekend with a long session and a million baby waves.  The sun set and I thought again that I've misjudged Waikiki and while it is unbearably crowded, it is also lively and gorgeous.

Brady was a champ, getting kids to games and Zachary to his Cub Scout day camp.  I hate guns but this is also adorable.

When I asked Zac on the phone about day camp, he said, "It was so awesome, Mom.  So awesome."




September was Kama'aina month for Zipline Ecoadventures.  Zac and I had never been, so we went with Brady on a Monday morning for the cost of 30 non-perishable food items and a tip.  Zac had to weigh 60 pounds for this adventure.  We weighed him the Thursday before ziplining after he ran 3 miles at school for 100 Mile Club, and ran his heart out for 2 hours at soccer practice.  His weight?  57 pounds.  His response? "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY I AM LOSING WEIGHT!"  By Monday, he was 60 pounds with his tennis shoes and jeans.

 He was anxious the morning of, and he was quiet on the drive there.  I kept reassuring him that he was safe and we would not have him do something that was not safe.  The first line, he stepped up timidly and looked worried.  After the first ride, he was first in line every time and disappointed when it ended.









Another Friday night at the beach.  We are looking forward to work settling down so Brady can join us for these perfect sunsets.  Zac joined a full crew of boys to play tackle football, ramp waves, and surf for hours.  Kate had a friend here, too, so everyone was happy.



Brady did make the kids' week at the pool the next day, throwing them around on the floatie dolphin and making them laugh like only he can.  I always prefer the beach to the pool but sometimes I'm outnumbered and pool days can be spectacular, too (especially with the place to ourselves).




October is here and here come the holidays!  

1 comment:

Natalie and Steve said...

Wow! When did Owen get so big?! He's adorable.

That was quite the busy month!