Wednesday, June 03, 2015

May: Soccer Ends, Friends Leave, and Anini is Pretty

My last post was ages ago, which means my commentary will be limited since I have the memory of someone much older.  In fact, I just watched the movie "Still Alice," and my anxiety about the possibility of having early onset Alzheimers was renewed in full force.  I'm once again committed to reading more non-fiction, challenging my mind to recall exercises and practicing piano at least once a month.  Ha!

My niece, Maddie, commented that there weren't as many flowers here as she expected.  I think she missed them by 2 weeks on her trip, because there are flowers everywhere now.  Kate loves to name them.

Brady's loving his new camera.



The big deal of our last two months was finally doing the IVF transfer.  Nothing has been easy about this cycle of IVF.  It comes after two fails and my body has rejected several medications.  I'm on maximum dosages and paying top dollar for different concoctions that don't give me hives.  My theory is that the body is not intended to be on heavy doses of hormones over and over and my body is simply letting me know.  On top of reactions to meds comes the many, many trips to Oahu, where I've had to rely so much on friends helping me watch my kids, making me feel so grateful and so guilty.  Six times, my kids have woken up sick (usually Kate), and Brady had to stay home last minute.

We finally went in for the transfer in mid-April, the week after Scott and Natalie left.  We took the later flight and grabbed some dinner on our way to stay at Matt and Megan's house.  This is what it looked like: not the ideal last plate of sushi!  Ewwww.
 I took my loopy drugs and got loopy again.  My nurse, who knows me very well now, could not believe I was the same person she's been helping for years.  Then, she put it together that I don't drink alcohol and said, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, got it."  Everything is wildly hysterical to me during this process, so of course I thought this poster in the transfer room was once again the funniest thing I've ever seen.  The nurse also commented that we are some of the only couples that come through Kapiolani that this poster applies to (i.e. white babies).
 We transferred two embryos and headed right over to the Hyatt for my three days of solid bed rest.  Bed rest is most definitely on it's way out, but my doctor is still conservative.  I loved the views from our room.  I watched the surfers and was happy I had so many good surf sessions before the transfer.
Look hard at how many people are in the water!

 I loved the gorgeous sunset, too.  I've been to Oahu over 25 times in the last 6 months and I love Waikiki.

 Brady walked to Cheesecake Factory and brought us back salads and that ridiculous chocolate cake.  Yum.
Then came a week of waiting on results.  I was so cramped up by the next Wednesday that I was sure the result was negative.  I wrote a sad journal entry and mapped out my Plan B for my life the next few years.  I knew I could be happy without another child, but I really believe in trying as hard as you can for what you want in life.  I felt so defeated, which I knew would pass, but it was a very difficult few days.

I was stunned on Friday when I got the call from my nurse that it worked.  This whole process, I've worked hard to be optimistic and believe it would work, but hearing that it did was difficult to believe.  I immediately stressed about my slightly low hCG numbers, and worried all weekend.  I got another definitely positive result the following Monday.  I've stressed between every doctor's appointment, and still struggle to believe it's all real, even with my rapidly changing body and tons of morning sickness.

The kids have handled everything perfectly.  They know I've had "surgery" and they don't seem at all confused when I throw up or need to lay down.  They understand that I can't swim or run around or jump on the tramp.  I love how little explanation they need.  I can't imagine their disappointment if things go wrong, so we are waiting until the end of the first trimester to tell them.

Soccer season ended and Zac's last game was stellar.  He had some excellent stops on goals, and his coach let him try out forward.  He was more aggressive and confident.  We're excited for fall soccer.
See?  Look at him sacrifice for the save!
Kate spent another sports season entertaining herself with Ava at the games.
I think we might canvas this one over our stairs:


Zachary and Chase in a post-game shot:
The last weekend before the VandenAkkers left, we went straight from the game to Kalipaki Beach.  I was still on rest, so no water or anything for me, but Jennie, Justin, and Brady kept the kids entertained and we learned more about Coronado, where they moved a few days later.






Hilarious shot with double shakas.
Impressive air.  These boys are not lightweights anymore...

The boys tried hard to knock each other off the paddle board by constantly moving back and forth.  I was happy Zac had some peer pressure from Chase and actually wanted to be on the paddle board.  He still has jitters about deep water (because deep water has tiger sharks, of course).


Chase is an ace photo-bomber:


Kate moved to a new carseat on her birthday and we now have a bunch of what appear to be fake-sleeping shots.  She really is out.
That weekend, we also went to a goodbye party for the VandenAkkers.  Christina and Karl bought a place in Poipu equipped with a pool and it is the ultimate party spot.

Pretty baby Ruby:


Brady already misses this little guy like crazy.  He thinks of Owen as his little buddy.
The kids are freezing but we are happy in the background.
Another pretty baby Ruby, this time with boogers:
I have hundreds of pictures on my iPhone, and here are some to fill in the gaps when we didn't take our huge camera, not in perfect order.  Zac won this hat at a surf competition in Hanalei.  He didn't get to compete this year, because it was the same time as the IVF, but he got to watch his friends participate and now has so much enthusiasm for improving his technique.
 Kate opens up a birthday card that went to the wrong address originally.  Delayed birthday presents are the best!  Thanks, Mom and Dad, for her happy day!
 Living so close to the beach, it's sometimes still hard to get there, particularly mid-week.  Kate and I can go anytime, but with all of Zac's soccer and basketball practices, it doesn't always happen.  We started a new Wednesday tradition of walking to the beach and having Brady pick us up after work.  Sometimes he stays, too.

 These pictures make me grateful for an outdoor shower.

 Kate and Ava had several play dates before her move.
 While I was on rest, Kate did an amazing job entertaining herself.
 A random, quick pool outing.  They changed the rules and said no kids in the hot tub for about 2 weeks.  We wrote a nice little letter, and I'm sure many other people complained, too, and now kids can get in again.  The wind kicks around and it gets very cold in the pool if it's not extra hot outside.
 Kate asks us to count the seconds she can balance every time she "surfs".

Zachary's soccer team practiced in Hanapepe--a full 30 minute drive from my house.  We were lucky to have Chase on the team so we could carpool.  This day, we captured a double rainbow over his field.
 Another Ava playdate.
 These two are so happy and natural and easy together.

 Another hump day beach day.
They watched the waves come and roll over them, and Zac "protected her".





 A day of preschool at the beach.  The kids played here for 3 hours together, surfing, dragging each other around, and swimming like sharks.


All the preschoolers but Tate pictured here:

 Kate loves these Minnie glasses.
 Bubbles.

 Megan Ellis and her family came into town for a funeral in our ward.  We went to ice cream with them one night and Courtney and I tried the new honey toast at Uncle's Shave Ice.  We shared it with about 8 people and it was still too much.  Delicious.
 Last game shot proving that my son is local with his spam musubi.  This is a train I will not board.  Ew.
 Another pic of Kate sleeping.
 Kate and Ava had one last playdate before Ava moved.  We made the most of it with crafts, matching necklaces, lunch, seashell scrambling, and lots of laughs, dancing and hand-holding.  I miss this girl so much, and Kate misses her more.  Kate loves other kids and gets along with everyone, but no one has meshed with her as well as Ava.  Since her move, Kate has asked about Ava almost daily.  I'm so glad they had each other for this past year.

 This was a bad day to let Kate "wear her hair down," because we took a ton of pics.



 Look at their hands.  Awwwwww.

 A pic of me and Jennie that I posted at Christmas.  I adore her, and it's never been so easy to get to know someone.  The VandenAkkers moving was a tough loss for us.
 Kate in one of her final ballet classes of the season.
 She's been practicing this move ever since.
Kate loves taking her baby on walks.  She says she is "really good at being a big sister."  Hilarious timing for her to start saying things like that.

 Another ballet class with Aunty Hilary.

 Another real sleeping shot that looks totally fake, with her baby sister belted in next to her.
 Daddy and Kate coloring time.
 One of our last days of preschool was spent at the fire station with Fireman Mike.  Kate refused to try on his uniform but happily "drove" his truck and sprayed out fires.






 Two weeks in a row, we had the pleasure of our friends Alicia and Eric over for dinner.  We haven't seen them in 10 years, when we went to Yellowstone with them and she was pregnant with her oldest daughter.  They've since lived in Fairborn, Ohio (my hometown) and later moved to Colorado.  She has read more books than anyone I've ever met and she's an accountant.  They are warm and personable.  Before they came over, we talked to our kids about Eric's hair situation and made sure they would not comment on it.  Eric brought it up to Zac, and Zac said, "I'm not allowed to tell you that you have no hair!"  Argh!
 Another Wednesday beach outing.  Kate's over her life vest and can't wait until I can swim again in a few weeks.


 Zac played basketball at the same time as soccer this year, with Brady as one of the coaches.  The games for soccer and basketball almost always conflicted, but he did get to play in 4 games at the very end of the season.  It surprised us how comfortable he is with dribbling and shooting, and he made many shots.  His favorite thing to do is defend, though, and he "throws his hands in the air like he just doesn't care" the entire time he defends.  He says his favorite sport is basketball, which is very exciting to Brady.


 Yep, another sleepy shot.  I love these.


We celebrated Cinco de Mayo with some nachos and scenery.








Climbing palm trees used to be the classic Zac shot, but I think leaping is his new thing.



Still on rest, still sitting around and watching.






Layton's summer party was before school got out this year.  The kids loved the waterslide and bounce house.
...until Kate got stung by a bee inside the yellow bounce house.  Then, she wanted nothing to do with it.  The painting stations held her attention the rest of the day.




Mother's Day was beautiful.  I told Brady all I wanted for Mother's Day and my birthday this year was to be pregnant.  I got really sick that day, but that's part of this whole experience.

I love that I get to be their mother.  I love how full my heart is with my kids, and I'm grateful every day for the miracles that brought them to me.
Zac said, "Dad, why do we always have to take an outdoor shot?"  It's so you have a chance to fold your arms and look tall, Zachary.
Last minute, we ran up to camp at Anini Beach over Memorial Day.  It was barely planned but there were lots of families who made it.  I've always thought Anini didn't hold a candle to Polihale, but it is beautiful.  (I still choose Polihale, but I'm a one-hit wonder.)




How cute are Zac's toes on the dewy grass?





I love landscape shots, but these will always be my favorite:

Our group's tents:

The Anini tree:


I still can't swim, but it was too cold that day anyway.










Brady loves that this crab posed.
Impromptu soccer game that lasted 2 hours and left all the old guys sore (anyone over 30 is old in this post).





The boys went out to snorkel after their soccer match.  I think it looks like Brady and Ship are peeing in the water before they head out.
 At the end of the camping outing, Courtney dropped a bomb: this was their last trip with us and they are moving in July.  Her dad was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and Curtis' mom needs them to housesit while she is on her mission.  I left the camping trip ready to move, too.  It is so hard to lose friends!  That probably sounds overly dramatic, but remember that we have no family here, so a family like the Chadderdons is another huge loss (and in the same month as the VandenAkkers!).  They've been here for 4 years and we've shared almost every Thanksgiving and Christmas with them.  They are a major staple in our ward and we will desperately miss them.

(Side note:  notice the mixed up couples.)

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Love the posed crab and the mother's day shots with the pink and blue. I love Kate with her hair down and Zac leaping across the rocks.

Kristen said...

Also, I read every word and looked at every picture. Way to post a long one.

Brady and Karen said...

You are the best. I haven't even done that. This was sooo long and I completely dreaded doing it. After you hit three weeks overdue, blogging is a DRAG.