Monday, April 20, 2015

Hanalei x 2, Easter



When we moved here, we met all kinds of local friends who rarely traveled outside a 10 mile radius.  We thought that was nuts--how could visit Hanalei, Polihale, and Kokee just once a year?  Then we went 6 months without visiting Hanalei because of baseball schedules, IVF schedules, and weather.  Hanalei was calling to us, and we answered.  


Kate went out with Zachary and rode some waves on a boogie board.  


Brady tested out his new camera and rested his injured back and broken rib.







Zachary jumped over a major hurdle at this Hanalei excursion.  A year and a half ago, he took a nasty fall on his board and since then he's wanted nothing to do with surfing.  We bring his board but he says "no thanks" every time.  He'll do every trick in the book on his boogie board but refuses his surf board.

We told him there was a Keiki surf competition coming up in April and they'd be giving out prizes.  Suddenly, he was interested in surfing.  He surfed 8 waves that day.  They were perfectly tiny for a boy trying to overcome his fears and he rode them with confidence.  We were so proud of him!  I have video footage but no stationary shots.
Surfing was a no go for me that day, without much to stand up on.  Instead, I had my favorite day ever with my kids in the water.  Kate rode the front of my surf board and Zac took waves beside us.  Moments!










Kate even told me to surf behind her.

More new camera fun:





I can't help but be impressed with his ripped little body.  The best part is the Calvin Klein popping out...  Ha!
We decided we needed more Hanalei, so we headed up again the following Saturday.  That is, after a late morning soccer game, a trip to Home Depot to buy a grill, and a few quick chores around the house.

The surf was a little better that trip--not big but plenty of fun.  We went up with Hadleys and enjoyed a beautiful afternoon.













Zachary couldn't wait to grab his board and get out there with Tanner and Garrett.  Brady would try and hold him back on some of the bigger waves and he'd say, "No Dad!  I got this!"  He looked awesome.  Then he went out with me a little later, when Brady caught these pics.


Kate went "boogie boarding" with me again.

The next morning was Easter.  I love having these holidays in my new house.





The kids were as excited as ever to do the Easter Egg hunt.  This year we made it so Zac could only get the soccer eggs and Kate got the sparkle eggs.







It was conference weekend, so we relaxed and watched for church that day--plus makeovers on Brady, lots of puzzles, and legos.



We were merciless and made the kids dress up and take pictures anyway.












After a lovely day, we had an even better night with the Clarks and Chadderdons over for Easter dinner.  We had a feast--ham, potatoes, several salads, rolls, and carrot cake.  And of course no Easter is complete without the Easter Egg Derby.  This was our most riled up and energetic derby yet.  The concept: when you roll two eggs against each other, only one will break.








 One of the final rounds was Brady v. Zac.  Zac is sporting longer hair these days and loves nothing more than to make it crazy.

 When Kate challenged Dalton, we were a little worried she would be sad when her egg cracked and she lost (again).  Nope, she ran straight into the kitchen and ate it.

Tate took it all this year.

 I make it sound like our life is only weekends, but plenty took place during those weeks.  Kate has let me start getting a little more creative with hair.

 She's gone on a lot of shopping trips with me while I try to decide how to decorate our house.
 Our new flatware and dish sets arrived!

 Most significantly, Brady and Willis tore out the Western Door, installed the drip pan and fix for the drainage, and reinstalled.  This unfortunately resulted in Brady's back giving him trouble since.  This fix was a big deal, and we are so relieved the fix worked and the door is completely water tight now.
 Ironically, our neighbors bumped up their excavating schedule to the same day our door was completely off.  I knew we were in trouble when I saw this monster pull in next door.  It was a disaster and dust and dirt blew in all day.  I was so stressed about it, Brady sent me out with the kids to see Cinderella.


 When I came home, it was clean up time.  This was the third wipe of my countertops.  (You do remember that I have white baseboards, cabinets, etc., right?)

All worth it!  When we look at this picture, all we see is relief.


We had several beautiful beach afternoons on days without soccer or basketball.
I had five trips to Waikiki for the doctor.  I finally figured out how to do Oahu the last two visits before surgery.  Park the car at Ala Moana (the mall), run to Waikiki, rent a board, and surf before I have to catch my plane.  I don't know why I only just now figured out that plan!  Before, it was seemingly impossible because there is no where to park in the city for less than $35 (and also I couldn't do anything active during the follicle development phase of IVF), but by running a couple miles with my ID and credit card, it was doable.  And really, really awesome.
 Zachary completed his first science fair project.  He made a machine that takes orders and makes food for you in the middle of the night.  The only hiccup?  When he realized with absolutedevastation that it was a model and not a functioning machine.


I taught preschool.  Love these kids.  I realized on the end of the second day that this was my last turn teaching this year.  Sniff, sniff.

Butterfly day:




 6 little monkeys, jumping on the bed...


 Lady bug day:






 We went to Kokee for an Easter Egg hunt.  So many kids, so many eggs!

 These long-leg pictures of Kate make me realize how big she is now.



 The whole group:

 All the other between was spent cleaning construction dirt off my house, windows, and everywhere else as well as finishing little house projects to make it look finished and tidy for Scott and Natalie's family the Tuesday after Easter.  Success!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Loving the new camera and the pics of you and Kate on the surf board.