Sunday, November 09, 2014

Halloween 2014

Kate and Zac counted down towards Halloween the same way they do their birthdays.  Kate couldn't wait to join the other 20% of girls this year as "Elsa" and Zac was stoked to be a black ninja (he was the red ninja last year, and plans to be a golden ninja next year).  I love that all month, they created fall crafts, colored pumpkins, and read spooky books.  Holiday excitement is infectious.

We started out with the ward Trunk-r-Treat, which was well-attended and planned as always.
 Our first pictures on the porch.  I love that Kate is holding Anna.  She said, "I have to hold her because 'Frozen' is a TALE OF TWO SISTERS!"
 Zachary, looking fierce:
 ...and normal:
 Me, looking like I'm trying to hard.  I did love that hat.  The veil section is rad.
 We started out with the ward Trunk-r-Treat, which was well-attended and planned as always.  Tons of chili and creepy desserts, tons of activities, and tons of costumes.

The Israelsons decked out their family in 80s.  The best was baby Makoa, with his tight leather pants and dog collar.
Heidi and Nic killed it with "Frozen":
Ty's troll costume was my favorite this year:


Three preschool friends: Kate, Tate, and Penelope.  Kate was so excited to be part of this unplanned ensemble, and Tate was proud to hang on to the ladies.


 Zac saw his friend Drake holding his head in his hands.  It was all very alarming to him.  He asked again and again if Drake was still going to be the same tomorrow, if it hurt to lose his head, etc.
 He was a little wary about taking this picture, too.

 I wasn't the only one who thought throwing on a witch hat and calling it good sounded like effortless fun.
 Zachary, designing our pumpkin:
 Kate told me to take this picture and show her cousins the dress they gave her:
 We bought several new decorations this year thanks to the arrival of Pier 1 on Kauai, but Zac's comment was that we "hardly had anything."



 Brady, Zac and Kate created these one afternoon when I was in Oahu.  They hung from the pendant lights and were my favorite decoration.

 After t-ball practice the night before Halloween, we carved the pumpkin.  Zachary did not want to touch the insides of the pumpkin (like every year), but finally was convinced to stick his hand in for a couple seconds.  He hated it.
 Kate thought it was really cool and dug in over and over again.  I got all kinds of domestic and made garam masala-flavored pumpkin seeds.  Delicious.
 The kids haven't learned that they can request more fancy designs, which is completely fine with us.  I can't seem to locate our finish product picture, although I assure you it was simple and charming.
We did our normal routes for Trick or Treating on Halloween night.  Kate sang, "Let it Go," over and over and over while walking down the street.  People commented on her right and left.  I wish we had recorded her, but I don't think I will ever forget it.  Zac was good at letting Kate be in the spotlight.  It's hard to be a little older and not get as much attention, but he does not seem to care.  He was so excited to run into friends and compare candy collections.

On to a month of t-ball games three times a week, and then THANKSGIVING!

3 comments:

Natalie and Steve said...

I love that someone did the trolls! That was the first that I had seen, after seeing a couple of families do the Frozen theme. I love it.

The head-in-a-jar costume is pretty clever too. I liked hearing Zac's reaction to it.

Kristen said...

hooray for the red dress. Those are awesome inside church pictures. I love the Halloween decorations.

Eric and Jill said...

HOLY MOLY on that t-ball schedule! ;) Halloween was SUCH A BLAST this year! People would see Leo and say, "Hey, Luigi, where's Mario?" And my literal boy would say "IT'S JUST A COSTUME!!!!" and Naomi just had an absolute ball trick-r-treating FOR REAL this year. She told me while holding my hand, "I just love Halloween, mama." AND BOOYA to Pier 1, love that place! Oh forgot to comment that your furniture and rug are so pretty! We get mice in our garage too. YUCK!