Sunday, March 03, 2013

VDay, Zachary's First Surf Session

It feels like all we've done the last month is look at house plans, talk to builders, crunch numbers, and look for a rental, but it turns out that we have done a few other things, too.  While nothing (and I really mean nothing) has panned out for us on the real estate front and we will be homeless in 80+ days, there have been notable moments where that is not the first thing on our minds.

First was my cousins Brian and Emilie visiting.  Brian and I are very close in age, and some of the oldest of my 70+ cousins on that side of the family.  We didn't see them much while they were here--they travel like we do with every minute packed full of hikes and beach time--but we had a fun time visiting with them at night.  They are probably the only guests that will use our ohana.


Next was Valentines Day.  Zachary made Batman valentines for his class and brought home darling homemade ones for me, Brady, and Kate, as well as some friends.  It was so sweet watching him spell out all of his friends' names.  I can't believe he'll be reading soon.

To celebrate Valentines this year, Brady took me out with Curtis and Courtney, and Nic and Heidi to Roy's, our favorite restaurant on the island.  Delicious.  The kids and I surprised Brady with an ice cream maker.  Hopefully the next batch of ice cream tastes better than the first, or that was a total waste. 
 Despite how terrible it is to feed these things to my kids, I think sugar cookies are a right of passage and sugar cookie days are some of my favorites.  I think there are several holidays that merit the creation of (yucky) cookies topped with endless sprinkles, and Valentine's Day is one of them.  This year, the Hadley boys joined the kids.
 Exact same poses below, all grunting, "Mmmm!!!":


 They're not called sugar cookies by accident:
 Tanner helping out Jack:

 February was cold.  Notice the sweatshirt on the beach.
 We went to Hanalei for Zachary's first ever legitimate surf session.
 Brady coached him and pushed him into waves.
 Zac was cold and needed some bribery.

 He had a few fails,

 but he also rode three waves before declaring that he'd had enough (he had a burn on his finger and the skin was ripped off, plus it really was freezing).
 These next pictures remind me why we are so intent on living here, even with our housing nightmares.  I want to raise my babies here in the sunshine, water, and sand.

 


1 comment:

Eric and Jill said...

I agree. That'd be a good way to raise children. No doubt about it when I'm stuck inside (not really, but do not want to brave the cold that often) and Leo is jumping around like a madman with not many ways to burn off his endless supply of energy. I'm sure the sunshine and warmth and huge playground that is your island is a very hard thing to leave. The older I get, the more I want that but know it's never going to happen. Ohio, you kinda stink sometimes, but we can't leave you. ha!