Monday, May 07, 2012

Scott and Maycee's Wedding

 Scott met Maycee on New Year's Eve, proposed 20 (?) days later, and married her on April 28th.  It all sounds rushed and chaotic, and for them, I'm sure the wedding planning felt that way, at least a little bit. 

Maycee charmed me with 2 specific events.  Event 1:  She is staying at our family's house two days before her wedding.  The family stays up late and she couldn't go to sleep.  She "loved it," though, because "Scott played with her hair all night."  Very cute, but not the part that charmed me.  No, that was the next morning, when Kristen and I were up in the early hours with our babies.  Maycee was up and hanging out with us while the rest of the house slumbered--playing with our kids, asking us questions, and absolutely radiant.

Event 2:  The night of the wedding reception. She tears off the outer skirts of her beautiful wedding dress to reveal a more swing-dance friendly skirt and tights, and dances away with my ballroom-team brother.  What a good sport, and so adorable.

Okay, my favorite thing about the picture above and below is the lady on the left.  I have no idea if she was part of the wedding invitees or not, but she is lovely and obviously very happy for the new bride and groom.
 Temple Head Shots:  Natalie, Ada, and Kristen
 Mindy
 Kristen/Kevin's Daughter Allie:
 Kristen
 Anna
 Dad
 Kev

Mom


 Janece

 Karl and Chrysta's Family (from DC)
 Natalie/Steve's son, Josh
 Kate tried hard to steal the show.  She was a diva about the cold (it did hail on me and Janece during our morning run...).  The boys of the family were very attentive, but it was the Chrysta and Ada who really doted on her every need that day.

 Scott was all over this until Josh went for his hair.
  Maycee, pretending to be warm:
 Everything was smooth sailing at the luncheon and reception.  This is the first family member to marry an Ohio gal, so maybe Mom and Dad will have some Ohio permanents! 

 Kristen, Natalie and I thought we could get the girls together for some shots.  Not a very successful endeavor, but they are darn cute anyway.

 My favorite part of it was when they all started feeding each other goldfish (or sharks?).



 Dad, still rockin out that green apron:
 Kate getting some love.

Other highlights of the week-long trip with me and Kate:
  • The second Kate fell asleep after screaming the first 3 hours of the red eye.  Screaming.  There is nothing like the sound of silence.
  • Playing in my parent's charming backyard with all the babies
  • Long chats with my siblings/their families and hanging out with my parents
  • Seeing Natalie as a mom (last time, Joshua was a little baby)
  • Envying Kristen's tiny, 20 week tummy
  • Walking in the Inniswood Gardens
  • Chowing down on fresh mex food
  • Watching Janece in a track meet
  • Running with Janece a couple times
  • Watching Eric play volleyball
  • Attending a concert for Anna/Janece
  • Seeing Jillian and Leo.  Kate was sick (of course) so we couldn't stay with them as planned.  Sad.  I think if I just plan on being sick for my vacations, I will be a little less disappointed when it happens (as it ALWAYS does).
  • Meeting up with Christina and Gia
  • Talking with Karl and Chrysta on the way to Cincy
Finally, running the Hoover Dam bike path in Westerville (yes, I have the name right, and it is not the one in Vegas).   I did this on my last day here.  In all my return trips to Ohio, it hasn't felt like "home".  My family lives in a different city and a different house, and so while seeing family/friends is the purpose of coming back, it hasn't made me feel attached to Ohio.  Well, for many reasons--the geese, the spring breeze, the wide open, green fields dotted with dandelions, and even the gray sky made me feel all kinds of nostalgia.  It was refreshing to remember what "home" felt like and to feel a reconnection to Ohio.

I can't say I look forward to my next 15 hour flight back, but I definitely miss the family/friends I have there and hope to see you sooner than later.  Thanks for making it a nice trip!  Thanks also to my boys at home for holding down the fort, and all my friends who helped with Z.

5 comments:

Natalie and Steve said...

It's definitely harder to get three little girls to have happy faces than it is for just 2!

We really loved seeing you two--and we missed having Brady and Zac as well.

Scott said...

Thanks for the post! I appreciated your commentary on Maycee. She wins everyone over instantly wherever she goes! It was an easy decision to stick with her!

Ryan Edwards said...

Congratulations to your brother. I am sure it was fun to visit and see your family.

-Karen

Kristen said...

Hooray! Makes me happy for you to love the midwest again.

Ryan and Christina said...

Glad we got to see you and meet baby Kate! Miss you already! I guress we just need to move to Hawaii..Oh, darn ;)