Friday, July 23, 2010

Celebrate!

4th of July is a little different in Kauai. Sure, we have some fireworks, but they are the kind of fireworks that end and you have to say, "Well, at least we have the ocean." They pale in comparison to an Oakland As game or the Stadium of Fire--they look more like sparklers up against those big guns.

Zac was introduced to glow sticks. He cried in the morning when he realized they don't glow the next day.

The cool part was the fireworks were over/near the ocean.
Remember that blog post that I said I'd move back to the mainland when I found a centipede in my bed? Well, this one was right next to my bed. So, not moving yet, but ew, ew, EW!
When Zachary was tiny, I remember being so excited to play baseball with him. He turned two, and we bought him a T-ball set. He couldn't care less. He pulled the ball off the T, and kicked it.
We pulled it out again a few weeks ago, and he loves to hit the ball. Somehow, Brady has perfect timing, and he can get Zac to hit the ball over and over again with his pitches. During the day, Zachary often wants me to try this with him, too, but eventually gives up when he realizes that mama can't pitch toddler-style.
Zac has to take turns. He hits the ball, then we hit the ball.
We just need to work on getting that elbow up, huh, Scott?
Buzz sharing the action.
Just missed the sunset at our favorite rock-throwing destination.
July 5th (aka Brady's bday), we took off to Lydgate for park time and swimming. Brady's never been to this park with Zac, and it's the best one on the island. It even has swings (a rare find around here)!
Brady went on a nice bike ride to the beach beyond Mahalapu. Too bad he didn't catch a glimpse of Johnny Depp, who was filming there at that time.
For his birthday, Lance and Melissa and fam, and Chad and Mary joined us for pizza and the pool. Will and Zac got thrown around a bit, and then we topped it all off with a Cold Stone cake. I know that I should try to cook better than Cold Stone, but I think their ice cream cakes are spectacular!
Happy Birthday, Brady!

6 comments:

cory said...

Hold on...Brady went on a bike ride and almost saw Johnny Depp? How is Karen not part of this equation? Favorite quote of all time:

Karen: "If I could have Johnny Depp it would be as a pirate... Oh."

Love it.

Julie said...

Eeeek!!!! I absolutely HATE centipedes! Totally worse than spiders... ew, ew, ew!!! And that thing was HUGE! I'm very sorry you have to sleep knowing many-legged beasty might be crawling up the side of your bed!

Eric and Jill said...

haha, i recently had a centipede almost as big as that one climb in bed with me, so i guess you'll stay in kauai a little while longer, eh? and p.s. i used to LOVE IT when my dad would throw us in the pool!

Heather said...

Happy belated birthday to Brady! Sounds like it was a fun day.

Ryan and Christina said...

Karen, that bug was nasty! I would move too if I saw that thing! Zac, on the other hand is turning into such a big boy-adorable. Happy Birthday Brady. Love you guys!!

Jenni said...

Gorgeous. I swear someday I will live in Hawaii.