Thursday, July 21, 2005

Pit Bull Mania


Recently there has been a lot of talk in the news about pit bulls. Several attacks have occurred, and there has been a lot of hype about possibly banning the dog, etc. It won't happen (at least right now), but we now have our own stories to add to the mess.

I was running home yesterday and I passed a man who quickly said to me, "Stop running." This was obviously a bit startling to me, but I did. He said that there were some dogs running loose all over the street, and I should just walk for a bit. I quickly saw the dogs he was talking about--3 pit bulls. Yikes. 2 of them were small (and, if I might add, pretty cute) and couldn't have been more than a year old. The other was a good size, and a gray color. Given all the news press lately, I was a little nervous...especially when they started hopping all over me. The small ones kept nipping at my shoes.

I tried to (pretend to) be calm, but I started panicking. I kept envisioning these dogs with a locked jaw on my leg. I saw a truck coming towards me, and a man offered me a ride. At first I turned it down since my house was only 7 houses away, but my pride vanished when the gray pit bull really started getting aggressive. When the man realized which house I was going to, he said, "Oh! Your husband was the one who helped Sara!" I had no idea what he meant. I just wanted to get to the front door before the dogs did!

I called Brady and found out the second edition to the story. Before he left for work, he heard a blockbuster scream. He bolted out the door (picture this now!) and jumped over the bushes in the yard to see a woman with her dog. Her dog was being attacked by a gray pit bull. Brady did everything he could to get the pit bull off her dog, but it wouldn't give at all. It took the help of several neighbors before they could distract the dog and get it away. They tied the pit bull up, and called animal control.

Apparently the pit bull was either let go or got loose, but animal control finally did come to get the three dogs that tailed me home.

Crazy, huh? We're both happy to have our legs.

2 comments:

Roni, Coleman, Makadie and Anika said...

I hate put bulls too. :)

Anonymous said...

Back home in Wyoming that dog would probably have been shot on the spot, or at least hunted down. Glad you still have legs. Way to be a hero, Brady! Way to get rid of pride, Karen! We'll be in Provo for the season opener vs. Boston College. We'd kinda like to go. What's the deal with guest passes with all-sports? Let us know. Excited to see you guys in a month or so.

Aaron